Handles for WSM 22.5

Bill W San Diego

TVWBB Super Fan
I went to Lowe's yesterday to buy two Genie DLH-BC handles for my WSM 22.5. I measured the distance from DC to DC on the 22.5 at 7 1/4". The Genie handles measure 6 1/4" DC to DC. Now from what I've read many of you folks have made this work. How in the world did you do it? :confused:

I made some brackets out of 3/4" flat stock that matched the ones on the WSM already and will use the same kind of handles. I made the brackets to match the holes on the side where the brackets mount so no new holes had to be made. I tried the ones from Lowes and after modding them to fit the holes on the WSM it made the handle to close to the sides for my fingers. This new way gives me more room and brackets look like they are factory since I painted them with gloss grill paint to match..

I've been wanting to put handles on my WSMs. I like the idea of making brackets and using Weber handles.
@ "Mike Leiter", any pictures of your custom brackets/handles?

Bob

I've been wanting to put handles on my WSMs. I like the idea of making brackets and using Weber handles.
@ "Mike Leiter", any pictures of your custom brackets/handles?

Bob

Bob,
Here you go. Like I said these were all hand bent so they don't all match exactly with the curves but came out pretty good. I do have a vice at the other house that would have made it a little easier but not mandatory. The 3/4" stock at the store works fine and fits the handles very good and you will need about 11" of it per handle. You will have to file small groves in the side so it fits flush in the handle as the stock Weber uses is slightly smaller than 3/4" and it hits in a 1/2" long area.. Drill some holes using the Weber handle and smoker body for reference and just round off the edges with a file or grinder. I did align the holes on the handles but have one hole that is off center some but wont effect useability at all. I used the Rustoleum semi gloss grill paint to color them black and they match pretty good. Will put these on my new kettle when it arrives. You can order the handles online or even Ebay. I stole these off my Weber Kettles to mock the handles up but ordered some new handles from Amazon that came in to put on when they arrive..Handle Kit, Charcoal Part Number: 80671
IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

Last edited:
Update to my original post. As I reported earlier I ordered the handles (7 1/4") from Amazon that Scott had advised, however, the distance from hole to hole is 6 1/4" and will not fit my 22.5. I think I'll try Mike Leiter's mod.

Back