Hand Cut Filet's - First Go at Steak on Smokefire

Chris R.

TVWBB Member
Hey all, Wanted to share tonight's adventure:

Bought a Prime Tenderloin from Costco this afternoon and Trimmed it up. Cut 9 steaks from it (+ Some trimmings for stew). Pretty Good value at $99

Took these two steaks and seasoned with Some "Steak Salt" From a local Steakhouse I like called Jak's. The container lists ingredient's as Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic and Onion. Pretty Simple. Let sit for 20 minutes in fridge while doing some other prep work (Potatoes and Asparagus)

Set SmokeFire for Smoke boost mode using Grillmaster Blend and after about 5 minutes put the Filet's on at the Center of lower grate. Let go for 60 minutes. Removed and plated with a foil tent while SF set and ran up to 600. The run up from 150 to 600 took 7 minutes.

Seared on each side for about 3 minutes only turning once.

WOW, This was SO easy and the end Result was SO Good. A perfect Rare to medium Rare after about a 7 minute rest once off the grill. Amazing Smoky Flavor and Great Grill Marks

I Simply could not be happier with the SmokeFire.

Chris

Attachments

• SF.1stSteaks.Filet.PreCook.jpg
    SF.1stSteaks.Filet.PreCook.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 26
  • SF.1stSteaks.Done.AfterRest.jpg
    SF.1stSteaks.Done.AfterRest.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 31
  • SF.1stSteaks.Plate.jpg
    SF.1stSteaks.Plate.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 31
  • SF.600.7minutes.jpg
    SF.600.7minutes.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
looks great! I much prefer my steaks to be finished in the cast iron, that way you get the great crust along the entire surface of the steak, just not where the grates have touched it.

Looks great Chris. Couple of questions. Which smoke fire, 4 or 6, and what temperature does the smoke boost feature cook at?

Looks great Chris. Couple of questions. Which smoke fire, 4 or 6, and what temperature does the smoke boost feature cook at?
I Have the EX4 and Last night after Smokeboost had been running for an hour, Starting temp (Smokeboost) was 150 when i cranked it up to 600. I am not certain if that is a fixed temperature or has any variance however slight it may be.

looks great! I much prefer my steaks to be finished in the cast iron, that way you get the great crust along the entire surface of the steak, just not where the grates have touched it.
Love this idea and need to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion. First off though, I need to acquire a basic Cast iron skillet for use on the Grill.
My (Porcelain) Cast iron cookware isn't designed for that. I'll post pics when I go this route.

Back