Hand blender, stick blender, immersion blender? *****

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Hand blender, stick blender, immersion blender? (I listed all of these so they would come up on any search term.)

I'm looking for pros and cons of various brands and models, and of course recommendations.

Cart before the horse....I'm hoping there will be many replies and lots of good information and tips about the use and care of these stick blenders, so I've rated this thread so it will be available for future searchers as part of an "Equipment" library.

Rita

Excellent post, Rita!
icon_cool.gif
We're looking for one too and I've also rated this thread.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have a Cuisinart immersion blender in brushed SS. The motor detaches from the blender attachment, which makes it easy to clean. It came with a small food processor attachment & a whisk attachment. It seems powerful enough compared to the old Kitchenaid I threw away.

Edited to add link: Cuisinart Smart Stick

We have the Braun unit and the SO stripped the detachable blender attachment mixing her protein shakes with frozen fruit. Lasted about 1 year of producing shakes 4 times a week. I assume we can buy a replacement but haven't looked around yet.

SO really liked it, easy cleanup, she threw it in the dishwasher daily.

I have the Braun Multi as well. I have used immersion blenders ever since they became available for home use having gotten used to the large ones (3 feet long; heavy, powerful motor; will puree 10 gallons of soup in minutes).

In the 'old days' none separated under the motor. Now most do, making cleaning safer and easier.

They are great for dressings (I use the chopper), breadcrumbs, nuts and, of course pureeing soups and sauces in the pot.

I just checked Amazon and Braun offers a LOT of Multiquick models -- from $25 to $140.

http://tinyurl.com/6hupsm

The $140 model has a speed selection option and a higher-power speed burst option, along with a chopper and a whisk attachment.

It is still 400 watts, though, as are the lesser-expensive units.

Rita

I can see no reason to have selectable speeds nor a burst option. I don't use the whisk much but the chopper is a must.

I don't know if Braun changed to a higher heat plastic, for a base, but the ones I had did get disfigured when doing soup or beans
Timothy

I have a Braun too. Mine has a detachable stainless business end. The previous one had a fixed plastic one.

Detachable is great - goes in the dishwasher and it means there are a few other accessory things that I rarely use.

A word of caution though - the metal business end scratches nice mirror finished saucepan interiors, not the blade but the edge of the cowling. If I did it again I'd like the plastic one even if it doesn't look the part. (yes I know it's only a matter of time with the saucepans, but while they're so shiny...)
(edit to correct typos)

Rita:
L'Quip 524

I picked one up just before Christmas. Looked at them all. I decided against the rechargeables, since they typically had weaker motors and I did not want to have to leave it on the counter or charging until I needed it. Also didn't want to have to remember to check to see if it was charged before using or run out during use, etc.

I went with this unit because of the 550 watt motor and dual speeds. If I could I would have bought it without the accessories. I have used it several times now and am quite pleased with the power and build of the unit.

Problem is you won't see these in the local stores much. Ergonomics are good in terms of the grip. The build is stainless steel body and removable shaft.

I'm glad I waited to find one.

I have the Braun MR430HC also. Its been one of my favorite kitchen tools for many years. I call it the outboard motor ala Emeril. Its made many milkshakes with never faltering. The one thing I could live without is the whisk attachment. It just seems to fling whatever you're trying to whip. The best part of it is the mini food processor. I use it regularily to chop jalepenos for tortilla rollups. It also gets put to regular use for making bread and cracker crumbs. All in all I think I'd cry if it stopped working and I couldn't replace it. This is one of those multitasker's that I've become very attached to.

Mark, sounds like a I really should give that processor attachment that came with my blender a chance. Haven't used it yet.

Back