GUINNESS-BRAISED BABY BACK RIBS

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
TED READER - "Hot, Sticky and on Fire"

Guinness-Braised Baby Back Ribs with Sweet Molasses BBQ Sauce
"This recipe calls for 4 cans of Guinness. Two cans are for the ribs and two cans are for you to drink while preparing this recipe. Guinness rules!!!!"

4 racks pork baby back ribs (each 1 1/2 lbs.)
2 TB. Bone Dust BBQ Spice *
1 large onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
4 cans Guinness Irish stout
2 cups gourmet BBQ sauce
1/2 cup molasses

1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Using a sharp knife, score the membrane on the backside of the ribs in a diamond pattern. Rub with the Bone Dust BBQ Spice, pressing the seasoning into the meat.
3. Spread the onion and garlic in a roasting pan. Lay the ribs on top meat side down. Pour in 2 cans of Guinness. Cover tightly with lid or foil.
4. Braise ribs until tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Let cool slightly. Remove ribs from pan and set aside.
5. Pour Guinness mixture into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce liquid by half. Stir in the BBQ sauce and molasses. Return to a boil, stirring, and remove from heat. Puree sauce until smooth.
6. Preheat grill to medium high.
7. Grill ribs, basting with sauce, for 6 to 8 minutes per side.
8. Cut between every third rib and serve.
Serves 4 to 6
* See, BBQ/Grilling Cookbook thread, post 375 and/or Rub thread

Last edited:
No, not yet. But I think this was why I bought that triplet of ribs...

Everything has been on hold for a bit. My 100-yr-old MIL died last week and then I had construction going on in the house. Taking a bit to get back to normal life, but all is OK.

Rich, good for your MIL living that long. I hope she lived a good life.

You are in the same predicament as us. There are just soo many good rib recipes out there, it is hard to decide which ones to make. Lets see, how many times a week do we want ribs for dinner? :unsure: :giggle:

I am having the same problem finding what wing recipe to use tonight. In the past 10 years, we have made 64 wing recipes and only 5 of them more than once. And a heck of a lot more to make in the wing binder.:rolleyes:

Got four racks of BBs I have to use up. I copied the recipe and will add it to my must do list.
Barb and I spent over three hours this morning inventorying our two freezers.
I'm always on the prowl for sales on beef and chicken, boy did I get a shocker. We have 28 bone in chicken breasts, 38 boneless chicken breasts, 43 bone in thighs, 36 boneless thighs, three whole chickens, a 12 pound turkey. 8 ribeye steaks, 6 strip steaks, 9 petite top sirloins, 1 3-pound sirloin roast, a two bone rib roast, 7 London broil steaks or roasts. 2 bone in hams.
We ran out of time so we will do the pork tomorrow.
Guess I won't be buying any protein for a while....a long while.

Can't wait to see what PORK pieces you have. You might have a visitor soon.

If you need any suggestions for all that chicken, you know who to ask. lol

Got four racks of BBs I have to use up. I copied the recipe and will add it to my must do list.
Barb and I spent over three hours this morning inventorying our two freezers.
I'm always on the prowl for sales on beef and chicken, boy did I get a shocker. We have 28 bone in chicken breasts, 38 boneless chicken breasts, 43 bone in thighs, 36 boneless thighs, three whole chickens, a 12 pound turkey. 8 ribeye steaks, 6 strip steaks, 9 petite top sirloins, 1 3-pound sirloin roast, a two bone rib roast, 7 London broil steaks or roasts. 2 bone in hams.
We ran out of time so we will do the pork tomorrow.
Guess I won't be buying any protein for a while....a long while.
Rich, did you ever do the pork in your freezer? I love how you and Barb do so many things like DH and myself.

The reason I mention this is I want to work on my Pork/Rib binder today. I also have a new copier and I want to go through my cookbooks and see if they have any good rib recipes to copy and put in my binder. :rolleyes: 😓😊

Rich, did you ever do the pork in your freezer? I love how you and Barb do so many things like DH and myself.
Joan, things have been nuts around here. Barb has back and leg issues and can barely, walk we just found out she has to get both hips replaced. She has to go to physical therapy three times a week for five weeks before they can do the surgery.
I'm having all kinds of issues getting my meds adjusted, with five doctors messing with them and not talking to one another I've ended up in the ER three times this month and one was a three day stay. The bad part is they are all in the same medical group, so my records are available for all of them to look at.
Plus, I have to go to the vein center for therapy on my legs two times a week.
Almost all the grillin and chllin has been put on hold for now.

Rich, I am soo sorry to hear that about you and Barb. I won't go into all the details, but DH and myself can really relate to what you and Barb are going through. Sad to say, we are more alike than I thought.

Yeah, these problems are all too common for us youngsters. Rich, you likely do the same, but I always make sure the doctor I see most (in my case my PCP) always knows what all the others are doing. Even if by phone or online. Mine are all in the same system too (and mostlyknoweac other), but they are pushed so hard that I make sure they stay informed.

Yeah, these problems are all too common for us youngsters. Rich, you likely do the same, but I always make sure the doctor I see most (in my case my PCP) always knows what all the others are doing. Even if by phone or online. Mine are all in the same system too (and mostlyknoweac other), but they are pushed so hard that I make sure they stay informed.
I made it a point to type up all the changes that were made. Those that one doctor put me on and another took me off of. Made an appointment with all of them to go over the issues it caused. My cardiologist who I have a lot of respect for took the lead and will monitor any and all changes. If any of the other doctors change something I just let his assistant know and he will follow up to make sure the impact will not be detrimental to me.
So far so good.

Back