Ground Brisket Smash Burgers And Meatballs

Steve Madden

TVWBB Super Fan
I’ve been wanting to try my new metal meat grinder attachment for the Kitchen-aid for a while and finally found a small prime packer brisket at Costco that looked perfect for a break in.

I trimmed most of the silver skin and fat that didn’t look like it would go through the grinder well and cubed the whole thing up. I started with maybe 1”x2” cubes and ended up cutting again before grinding to about 1”x1” which I think helped due to the size of the Kitchen-aid intake tube.

The whole grinder assembly went in the freezer for about six hours before grinding and the meat went in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

BE6593FA-11C9-4F3F-84E4-8E9BE97BE437.jpeg

11339A67-7BD5-4A33-A17A-1AFC97F2CDF5.jpeg

Made smash burgers for the family which turned out great along with some of our first tomatoes of the season.

11DB42F9-B6C4-4D86-92EB-C1D461447AA9.jpeg

731B41DE-F113-41E4-8EBD-F15CF505B4D9.jpeg

C7C5FC61-C0F6-4BC2-9AB2-DA2EA6E8134E.jpeg

I vacuum bagged and froze two one-pound packages and used the remainder to make some meatballs today which I had to sample before dinner and are terrific.

CCA94351-EE9F-42D3-88EF-F320DA166F9C.jpeg

12CE2E59-6340-40CE-969E-D35250278414.jpeg

I have a lot to learn about grinding meat but this thing performed well for a novice. (And yes I was chasing a toddler as evidenced by the half eaten apple and Dr. Seuss books strewn about. 😁)

The burgers and meatballs look great. I really want to get a grinder so I can do brisket burgers.

I've been wanting to do that exact same cook, cept I would aggresively trim the flat of a brisket and grind when I got enough for burgers.

That looks great .

And your getting tomatoes at the end of April, wow , my plants are normally just setting fruit at this time. And last week, I lost all 10 of my plants to a freak late season freeze. I may not get a tomato till mid June.

I've been wanting to do that exact same cook, cept I would aggresively trim the flat of a brisket and grind when I got enough for burgers.

That looks great .

And your getting tomatoes at the end of April, wow , my plants are normally just setting fruit at this time. And last week, I lost all 10 of my plants to a freak late season freeze. I may not get a tomato till mid June.
That stinks, Lynn. I've been there.

Brisssket burgersss hmmm.
2001 iirc are plants went in late and still froze.
We do not plant until mother's day.
Currently still waiting to plant.

Nice looking burgers...I'm starting to experiment with smash burgers. Planning to do my 2nd try this week if the weather will cooperate at all. First try went ok, but had trouble getting my griddle hot enough. I cracked the code on that and am pretty certain the 2nd batch will be better.

Love the Dr. Seuss book. Hope to be reading those to my grandkids in 12 to 15 years.

I've been grinding all kinds of meat on our KA. Not the fastest way to do it but it gets the job done.

It all looks great but no one has discussed the flavor / texture, etc, of the outcome. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Was this better than regular chopped meat, if so by how much and how? We usually buy Grass Fed 85/15 ground beef on sale for $3.50 t0 $4.50 /lb and have been generally please with it. What am I missing. Thanks
Joe

Back