Grommet Mod Gone Wrong - HELP

JW Stap

I was attempting to follow several Grommet mod instruction with the threaded lamp rod/steel nipple, and I may have made a large mistake. I requested 3/8" running thread from the store. While drilling and attempting to fit the thread, I discovered that I received 3/8" ID, rather than OD. My current hole is about 9/16", and I would have to drill to 5/8" in order for the current rod to fit through.

Alternatively, I picked up a new lamp rod that is about 1/2" OD. It is slightly loose in the current hole, but with lockwashers in place it seems to fit snug.

Did I make a huge mistake? Do you have any suggestions?

I imagine: Option 1 = drill to 5/8" and thread the original rod through to fit snug. Option 2 = its is fine that the current rod is slightly loose because of the lock washers/nuts holding it in place. Option 3 = take WSM to the junk yard.

P.S. Save the criticism, I realize that I am an idiot.

You might try and thread the nipple into the 9/16" hole. If the 9/16" hole is too small use the drill & bit to enlarge the hole slightly. Insert the bit into the hole and run the drill on high speed. Use a circular motion to make the hole a tad larger. Be sure and use the nipple cap to thread in if you do get the threads to catch. Option 2 would be ok too. After several cooks gunk will form around the nipple making it tighter.

Just go with the 1/2OD and don't sweat it. After you have the probe wires through, if you see an smoke during a cook, just ballup a tiny piece of aluminum foil to plug. No biggie.

I gotta say, I really never have understood the need to go to all the trouble of putting lamp parts in the hole. I just drilled a hole large enough to thread two probe wires in mine and run the probes through the hole, which has worked fine for several years.

tom has a point. i guess we just worry about sharp edges..and some people go with a slit in the edge of the rim for their wires and that idea has merit as well.....that being said , as long as the washers make the grommet reasonably tight it should be fine. i dont believe you can lose enough smoke or heat thru that little hole to adversely affect your cook.

To continue with Tom's comment ---- most guys also cut the lamp rod leaving sharp edges anyway. Might as well just drill a hole & fish the probes through.
With the top vent wide open, how much could be lost though a 1/4" ID lamp rod?

JW - either of your first 2 options are just fine. No criticism as you didn't do any harm.

Trash it! Get rid of it right away! I tell ya what, to save ya any further anguish, I'll just come by and take it to the dump for ya! Seriously, don't sweat it! If its snug with the lock washer and nuts, you're golden! Like others have said, how much smoke is gonna escape, or extra oxygen be let in? That being said, being ADD as I am, I purchased a cap to go over my threaded rod when I didn't have probes ran through it, or when I wasn't using my smoker. A tiny detail to be sure, but it also keeps wasps, bees, or yellow jackets from getting in and building a nest in my smoker. (Like I said, a small detail for sure.) your setup is fine. Snug up the nuts, and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Tim

I am one of the ones who cut the slit in the top lip so I agree with this:

I gotta say, I really never have understood the need to go to all the trouble of putting lamp parts in the hole. I just drilled a hole large enough to thread two probe wires in mine and run the probes through the hole, which has worked fine for several years.

But if you don't, you could get the lamp rod parts you indended to use originally and use stainless fender washers to take up the extra hole. You may have to put a slight bend in the washers to match the curve of the cooker.

fenderwasher_zps4a1a0215.jpg

Last edited:
I went to Home Depot, in the Lamp repair parts section. Picked up three packages:
1) packet of 8 (multiple lengths)- 1/8IP all-thread Brass pipe (about 5/8" long)(IP not ID or OD),
2) Packet of 12 - 1/8 IP nuts to fit the all-thread pipe,
3) Packet of 4 -1/8 IP brass caps to fit the outside of the all-thread brass pipe.

The 1/8IP all-thread brass pipe fits tight in a 1/2 drilled hole, there's just enough space on the 1/8IP pipe to apply the brass nut on the pipe on the inside, and the outside, with enough thread on the outside to place the 1/8IP cap on the outside to cover the hole once the pipe is installed. This 1/8IP brass all-thread pipe (inside) is large enough to receive the two Maverick ET732 probes (one at a time through the hole). The brass caps make it a perfect setup when not in use....

My only issue was after install one brass hole, I installed the little inside hook for the cover. Then I realized that by standing where I wanted to, and trying to hang the cover where I wanted to, then I realized the probe lines where under the cover. SO.... I duplicated the brass holes, one on each side, so I could use the probes on either side (opposite side from hanging the cover).

I have no idea why it's called 1/8 IP, but it is what it is.... I hope this helps someone.....

My installation came out so pretty, I would never consider using just the empty hole and risk cutting the probes.... and so cheap to get it done....

JW..Stick with the hole and the 1/2" rod. Its the same rod I used to be able to stuff multiple probes through. You can get fiber washers at Lowes and HD that you can put on the rod and then put the nuts on to hold it in place. The fiber washers will help seal the slight gaps up when you tighten the nuts. I wouldn't make the hole any bigger or cut another one in it as you can make do just fine with the one you did already. Once it gets all greased up down the road it will probably seal any small gaps anyways...

Here is mine with the 1/2" rod but painted with grill paint to match.
100_1850.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the helpful advice! I'll be trying out my first smoke since the drilling this afternoon, we'll see how she handles it. Depending on leakage, I may end up adding washers as some have suggested.

Again, thanks for helping out a newbie

I'm with Tom on KISS except that I use a simple brass grommet to protect the probe leads.

DSC_1614-PP.JPG

DSC_1617-PP.JPG

Note: I figured out after I did my mini that both probes can fit through a single grommet. :rolleyes:

Back