Grilling on the WSM

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The wife wants me to grill some burgers tomorrow and I have yet to use my WSM as a grill. Don't have an alternative grill yet. Any suggestions?

Mike-

To me the easiest way to grill on the WSM is to simply use only the bottom of your WSM and set your top grate directly on the charcoal ring. I've grilled fish and burgers that way.

Well, bottom grilling isn't so hot (literally). Burgers took forever to brown and they all came out pretty well done. I guess I could have improved it if I would have dumped a whole bag of charcoal into the WSM but I only used 2 Weber starter's worth.

The good news it that it will justify the purchase of a One Touch Platinum to the wife now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mike-

Mike,

Next time try smoking those burgers. Use 3-4 pounds of charcoal and no water in the water pan. No Minion method on this one, get all the coals going. Use some hickory for smoke. Check the internal temp after about 45 minutes. The smoker should run about 325-350 like this. You will get a red color on the outside of the burger, like a smoke ring but not very deep. Thats why I said check the internal temp.

Doug W.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Well, bottom grilling isn't so hot (literally). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't say it was the best way to grill on the WSM, just the easiest way. I purchased a Weber One Touch Gold for much the same reason.

Great idea, Doug. I will give your technique a shot this weekend!

Dave - we think alot alike. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I do the same as Dave. Bottom section, top grate right on top of the charcoal ring. Fill 'er up with lump and you'll be plenty hot for grilling. Took the WSM on the road camping last weekend and the first day grilled porterhouse steaks for eight and the next day six racks of baby backs. Wowed 'em both times.

I didn't use the charcoal ring. I just started the coals on the lower grate and placed the upper cooking grate on top. That's probably why it didn't get hot enough. (And I'm the guy that always reads the manual before assembly!).

Thanks

Mike-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back