Grilling chicken

Paul Hughes

Can someone please inform me as to why my chicken turns quite dark, after it’s placed in our warming tray, just post grilling? This picture is prior to the chicken being placed on our warming tray inside. Came out golden brown. I don’t have the picture of how dark the chicken turned😕
59AA0F58-EFEF-4AEA-B37F-223744D50D26.jpeg

Those look just about perfect, how long in the warming oven and what temp is that oven?
The only thing I can think is that the carryover heat combines with warming oven continues the cooking.
I think we need more information please?

Those look just about perfect, how long in the warming oven and what temp is that oven?
The only thing I can think is that the carryover heat combines with warming oven continues the cooking.
I’ll check with my wife regarding the oven temp. I believe they were in the oven for approximately 30 min.
Btw, we had a warming tray, on our buffet table, containing water to keep the chicken moist. I’ve never seen our chicken get that dark….thought there was some sort of chemical reaction to the aluminum pans?
I’m perplexed 🤷🏽‍♂️

Uncovered?
We are working on some pretty light information so, until we know more and, maybe see some after pictures I don’t know what’s going on.
Steel warming pan? Foil food vessel? There might be an extremely slim chance that you might have had some electrolytic action if there was much acid in the marinade but, I think that’s an extremely thin chance! Salt, acid, differing metals...battery! But, I’d have a hard time believing that caused the meat to go “dark”
More information please?

Last edited:
Yep aluminum can work some pretty bad stuff on things. There is a reason I refuse to cook or store food with aluminum

The oven temperature was 200 Degrees for about 30 min. Pan was covered the entire time and moved to a warming tray with water underneath to keep the chicken moist.

They look good to me but you might want to check the oven temp with a good thermometer to verify the actual oven temp.

I have to preheat my oven for an hour to get it to stay at 200’. The 200’ is more of an average temperature if I don’t do a long preheat. The oven will cycle above 300’ to keep the temperature at 200’.
I checked mine with a Thermoworks Smoke.

I would agree with TonyUK, they are still cooking at 200 and if they are covered doesn’t the skin get soft? The steam going on inside the foil covered pan I’d think would make the skin degrade from the crispyness standpoint.
Does this happen often?

Could be the brand of foil but when you wrap tightly your trapping in moisture.
That can cause foil to turn grey. Does that mean it transfers to your chicken? I dunno but have seen potato casseroles turn grey.
That's why unless I'm continuing to cook something I never wrap tight.
Just cover it loosely and let that steam escape.

I have been putting grilled chicken in a foil pan like yours for a long time.
Usually I just cover loosely with a sheet or two of foil. Just time your cooks so you dont
need the oven for warming and you will be fine........

I use a Cambro, which is a restaurant grade styrofoam type chest. It keeps food hot for a couple of hours without really cooking it much more. It's great for resting your meat before serving.

Could be the brand of foil but when you wrap tightly your trapping in moisture.
That can cause foil to turn grey. Does that mean it transfers to your chicken? I dunno but have seen potato casseroles turn grey.
That's why unless I'm continuing to cook something I never wrap tight.
Just cover it loosely and let that steam escape.
I see what you think is happening with steam being trapped turning the skin a bit grey but that’s not why it happens to the potatoes, that’s oxidation as well, slightly different thing going on but, the result is similar.

I see what you think is happening with steam being trapped turning the skin a bit grey but that’s not why it happens to the potatoes, that’s oxidation as well, slightly different thing going on but, the result is similar.
That could be but I never noticed a potato casserole ( like Kugela ) turning grey in a corning ware dish with a plastic wrap cover.
Only in a foil pan with a foil top.
Weird...

Back