Grill Grates Firebox Safety Question

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
I don't want to hijack Bruno's thread, so here I am. If I buy GG's I would buy a set to cover my new S670, which would also allow me to use them on the 2016 E-330. Do you experts have thoughts on how a full set could possibly affect the firebox or its life span? I'm assuming when I say they would trap more heat in the box but I don't know how much hotter the firebox might be, nor how much of a higher temp is too much. Thx

(If I make the purchase I probably would not use a full set on the S-670 right now given the issues with the porcelain parts). I'm conflicted about how much I should be concerned about that grill; I keep it in the basement between use (which probably does not address the firebox concern) and because I have several cookers I simply do not use it very frequently. It could potentially outlive me but the concern does nag at me.

I have had mine for quite a while, first on the Genesis B, then on the Genesis ll 330, no signs that
GG's have caused any problems on either grill.

I've used mine extensively over the past couple of years, and while on paper it may be possible to warp a cookbox with GGs, most damage I've seen seems to come from grease fires, and GGs help prevent that by helping to keep the grease out of the cookbox in the first place. People may not realize that the GGs run 100 to 200 deg hotter than the grill air temp, and in operation your gas controls are going to be much lower than without them...unless you like to eat cinders, that is. An IR gun is useful to keep the GG temp within useable range. Keep plenty of airspace all around and between sections (griddle and grate if you decide to have both) if you're worried about it.

So I finally placed an order. There have been at least three prior occasions where I came very close to ordering GG's but for some unknown reason stopped short of submitting an order.

I'm still uncertain about using the full set on the S-670 but I feel good knowing I can take some panels if vacationing or using some if we have a big family crowd where I'm grilling large volumes of burgers or other high-fat content items on one of the other cookers. Those benefits will be complimented by using a full set on the Genesis, where I convinced myself (through your input) not to be concerned about the firebox temp.

My recommendation is that you do not completely fill your grill surface but instead leave at least a few inches of open space. That will allow your grill to breathe and help avoid any potential issues. Another thing is to keep your GG "valley" clear so that the holes stay open. They can clog up pretty easily. That will also potentially trap excess heat underneath.

GrillGrates themselves point out that "high" with GG may now me just medium-high.

They were generous and honored it :)
I put in an order last night at 11:50pm for a single griddle grate. I think these are little pricey even with 30% off. I am glad all my others were freebie's from flipper grills. I like them for specific use cases (almost always flat side up) but would not have bought them new. I am looking forward to trying the griddle plate to speed up defrosting.

Agree with Jon that you should leave a little breathing room when using GGs.

A good way to do it is to leave the GGs disconnected with a gap in the middle of the cooktop. Makes it easy to create a hot side and a cool side on a grill with north/south burners. I often cook with one half flat side (griddling and searing) and then the other side rails up (for general cooking and grill marks).

If I'm doing steaks, the flat side is the hot side.

My recommendation is that you do not completely fill your grill surface but instead leave at least a few inches of open space. That will allow your grill to breathe and help avoid any potential issues. Another thing is to keep your GG "valley" clear so that the holes stay open. They can clog up pretty easily. That will also potentially trap excess heat underneath.

GrillGrates themselves point out that "high" with GG may now me just medium-high.
This is what I do on the Genny Silver B, except the gap is only ~1", and have had zero issues.

Back