Got my OXO kitchen scales today

LDThornton

TVWBB Fan
It's the model with the pull-out digital readout and will weigh up to 11 lbs. of whatever you want. Amazon had them for a good price. Scale plus shipping came to $37.63 Works just like the description said it would. Used it this evening to weigh out sliced roast meat for beef jerky. Now I add the exact amount of jerky ingredients to marinate with.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...TNA/thevirtualweberb

My wife has been talking about getting a new Kitchen scale far a while now. "Somebody"
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_redface.gif
knocked ours of the counter and it hasn't worked right since. I might have to check this one out.

It'll change the way you cook. I'm converting my recipes into metric weights and it make things faster, more efficient, and easier to scale up and down.

When I used to make a batch of my sauce, I'd finish with a pile of dirty measuring spoons, measureing cups, spatulas and what not. Now I use one bowl on the scale and dump everything into it.

Mac,

This is a great scale. Love the pull out feature. Had it 2 years, only replaced the battery(ies?) once and I use it a lot. Nice backlit screen as well. Only time I ever had an issue with capacity was with a large bowl and trying to measure out some ice, but I just did 2 batches.

JB, I agree. Slow to convert everything over, but the dishes and time savings are great!

I have the same one, and it works well. My only complaint is that, occasionally, when it times out and the display goes off, rather than resuming like it should when you press the power button within a short period, it instead zeroes itself out.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
It'll change the way you cook. I'm converting my recipes into metric weights and it make things faster, more efficient, and easier to scale up and down.

When I used to make a batch of my sauce, I'd finish with a pile of dirty measuring spoons, measureing cups, spatulas and what not. Now I use one bowl on the scale and dump everything into it.
Can you give an example? do you just spoon spices in and watch the weight go up for each ingredient? I'm assuming the scale is accurate enough to know what 1/2tsp of coriander weighs.

Can you give an example? do you just spoon spices in and watch the weight go up for each ingredient? I'm assuming the scale is accurate enough to know what 1/2tsp of coriander weighs.

short answer: yes on all counts

a couple examples:

1 mL = 1 g so you can pour liquids right into your mixing bowl

recipes become very easy to scale which is important when working with meat since you starting mass is never the same. Scaling becomes important when consistency and repeatabity are desired.

I have a few cookbooks that work in metric weights and it just makes things easier. I can't figure out why more books don't do this. How variable can something like "one onion" be? But if the recipe says 100 g of onion, I get it. Sure it's a fine point, especially when cooking can be thought of as more art than science, but it sure does simplify and reduce error.

j,

Which scale do you use?

I have been making larger batches of my sauce with my OXO scale and it has been wonderful. However, for smaller batches I am wondering how reliable it is for the smaller measurements (ie 1 Gram white pepper).

I was thinking about using the oxo for all my large batches and heavier ingedients and then having a smaller scale with maybe 0.5 gram increments for the ligther stuff.

Yeah, it's tough to get a scale to do both (large quantities and small one accurately). I picked up a weigh blade v2 400 ($14 amazon), that seems to be marketed towards small time drug dealers, but works great in kitchens that aren't meth labs.

Back