Got my griddle!

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
I got the 16 x 9 reversable Lodge. May not get to use it today, supposed to storm.
My first attempt at using the griddle will be burgers on the 22" original kettle.
The question is do I light the fire like I would if I weren't going to use the griddle? I usually use 3/4 to 1 chimney of lit coals for burgers. I assume oil the Griddle, wait for it to get hot, make sure I can move it around if I need to.
Anything else??

Congrats and enjoy, I am looking at different options to add a griddle to my arsenal, I actually started to look at used blackstones last night. I really think I just want to get something for the kettle though, this looks like a great affordable option, I am looking forward to your experience.

I got the 16 x 9 reversable Lodge. May not get to use it today, supposed to storm.
My first attempt at using the griddle will be burgers on the 22" original kettle.
The question is do I light the fire like I would if I weren't going to use the griddle? I usually use 3/4 to 1 chimney of lit coals for burgers. I assume oil the Griddle, wait for it to get hot, make sure I can move it around if I need to.
Anything else??
Maybe use a few more coals. And that CI griddle will take much longer to heat up than your grates. Give it at least ten minutes.

I have the same griddle. Definitely go w/ a full chimney and as @J Grotz said, at least 10 minutes to heat up. You could also preheat in the oven to get a head start.

I have a Hunsaker griddle for my 22". I use a full chimney and dump the coals in my two charcoal baskets. I put the baskets under the middle of the griddle (Hunsaker is a big ~21" circle).....that way I can move things to the perimeter if I want a less hot zone.

Congrats and enjoy, I am looking at different options to add a griddle to my arsenal, I actually started to look at used blackstones last night. I really think I just want to get something for the kettle though, this looks like a great affordable option, I am looking forward to your experience.

I don't understand the love affair for Blackstone. Doesn't seem very versatile to me, more of a one trick pony. I've purchased a couple used Performers from people that were selling because they got a brand new Blackstone; very curious how a dedicated griddle can replace a kettle style grill. I'd recommend the Hunsaker because it's so cheap $40 shipped. Also, a Lodge option like the one Charles mentioned in this thread another good option; both being much cheaper than Blackstone.

I have that same griddle, Charles. I tend to use it more on the gasser, but I love it on the Performer, too. On the gasser, I preheat the griddle with the grill. When the grill hits 475-500, I turn it off and grill on the pre-heated griddle. I can get about 10, 6 ounce burgers out of it this way before the griddle begins to cool too much. You're going to love that thing!

I have one. I mostly use the smooth side, the ridged side is a pain to clean for me.

Tim

I have a Hunsaker griddle for my 22". I use a full chimney and dump the coals in my two charcoal baskets. I put the baskets under the middle of the griddle (Hunsaker is a big ~21" circle).....that way I can move things to the perimeter if I want a less hot zone.

Off topic, but you don't happen to have a Kettle Pizza as well, do you? I'm toying with the idea of getting one of those griddles to sit on top of the KP, in an effort to keep the upper level heat closer to the pizza toppings. Wondering if it would be able to sit on top of the KP.

Off topic, but you don't happen to have a Kettle Pizza as well, do you? I'm toying with the idea of getting one of those griddles to sit on top of the KP, in an effort to keep the upper level heat closer to the pizza toppings. Wondering if it would be able to sit on top of the KP.
No, I don't.

I don't understand the love affair for Blackstone. Doesn't seem very versatile to me, more of a one trick pony. I've purchased a couple used Performers from people that were selling because they got a brand new Blackstone; very curious how a dedicated griddle can replace a kettle style grill. I'd recommend the Hunsaker because it's so cheap $40 shipped. Also, a Lodge option like the one Charles mentioned in this thread another good option; both being much cheaper than Blackstone.

I bought a Blackstone a couple of years ago and it has been a great addition. When I bought it I don't believe the Hunsaker was being made yet. I did buy a Hunsaker and must admit the Blackstone will definitely see less use. That being said the Blackstone will still have it's place. It is quicker to get ready to go and I have also used it in the garage when it's raining outside. Our next home will definitely have a covered patio.

I don't, but the Hunsaker is basically the same diameter as a standard top grate. It's pretty heavy though

Kyle,
I am with you. I keep seeing the Blackstones and thought I would start to look at maybe adding one, but I can't see having, like you said, a one trick pony taking up that much space.I did not realize the Hunsaker was so affordable. I thought it would have been way more then that.

Recently got the Lodge griddle myself and have really enjoyed it. I load it up with chicken, onions, peppers. Throw it over the front two burners of my just lit Genesis 1000. Close the lid and come back in 30 minutes to flip. Sear the chicken on the grates if needed. I use two oven mitts to carry the whole thing back into house to serve to family. Pro tip, turn grill off first and leave the house door cracked. Thing is hot and heavy.

No mess on grill, easy to clean, food stays warm... Highly reccomend.

Back