Good gasser or no

Mike - LA

TVWBB Super Fan
I have been considering getting a gasser and could anyone tell me from the pic something about the grill? Any idea of vintage, pro/cons associated with this model maybe? What would be the areas to really look at and what parts would be difficult to find If missing or damaged? It’s close by to me so I may take a look based on the feedback here. Looks really clean although I’m very aware of judgment from pics.

Attachments

• A72EBF36-1398-4CE1-9F8C-7A217C4F21DC.jpeg
    A72EBF36-1398-4CE1-9F8C-7A217C4F21DC.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 44
Yep, looks like a genesis silver b, circa 2000-2002. I had one for 20 years and passed it on to my daughter last year after refurbishing it for the 4th time. Solid grill with most parts readily available, aside from the manifold, but that’s true of most grills. $200 seems a bit lofty to me, though this one looks rebuilt, and that may justify the price, if it’s got all new guts.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea of the value. They’d have to move on the price even a little, that’s just built into me.

i would be very surprised if it had been restored or any dress up here in my part of the country especially for a grill. 😆

I have been considering getting a gasser and could anyone tell me from the pic something about the grill? Any idea of vintage, pro/cons associated with this model maybe? What would be the areas to really look at and what parts would be difficult to find If missing or damaged? It’s close by to me so I may take a look based on the feedback here. Looks really clean although I’m very aware of judgment from pics.
Hi Mike,

TL;DR Good grill, I would not spend more than $50, maybe $100 tops if it is in perfect condition internally.

I own one exactly like that except propane. I believe it is a 2000 or 2001 Silver B.

In 2002 they changed the cart design slightly ( and I have one of those too )

They are solid grills and all the parts that wear are available including:
grates, flav bars, burners, igniter, and bottom pan.

As an east-west grill it makes a good rotisserie grill.

As far as price, $200 seems high.

Do you want natural gas? That is a key question. If yes, these seem to be less common and also seem to fetch less on the for-sale market.

What to look for?

1. is the cook box bowed? It happens, and if it bows the grates don't fit well. I'll see if I can find a pic of one of my cook boxes that's bowed and post it.
2. condition of bottom pan? slides out under the cookbox. These rust and cost about $40 to replace
3. flavorizer bar condition. Again, these rust and price varies depending on quality. I haven't priced them recently
4. condition of burners. About $30+ to replace
5. igniter? about $10 to replace if needed

Anyway, I think the Silver B is a solid grill, but the price seems a bit high.

Dan thanks for that excellent information. That’s why I’m here because of the willingness to help...and my obsession with grilling. Awesome!!

here are two cook boxes. the one on top is bowed from a grease fire.

The one on the bottom is straighter. It holds the grates much better.

here's a thread where I combined my 20 year old silver B with a free donor for a quick improvement to my grill.

1641445261789.png

Last edited:
Dan thanks for that excellent information. That’s why I’m here because of the willingness to help...and my obsession with grilling. Awesome!!

I'm still learning, and I've learned a TON from the veterans here.

Price and availability seems to be regional. I've been lucky to collect a number of free, or nearly free Silver Bs, or earlier Genesis x000 grills.

Given a choice, I'd look for an earlier Genesis with a 13 bar deep cookbox.

search and read other's opinions, but I recently put my Silver B in storage ( it will go to one of my kids) and replaced it with a 13 bar 1000 and I love it for rotisserie.

downside is some of the x000 parts are getting harder and harder to find.

Good luck !

I'll agree with everyone, and add this:

If you are trying to "just get a grill" and start cooking that same day, $200 is a fair price for a rehabbed grill. Or at least one that you don't have to put ANY money into. So this would mean good burners, good crossover tube (this connects the three burner tubes and is a part that suffers from wear due to use), good flavorizer bars, and if the ignitor is working that is a good sign that the seller kept the grill up to snuff. The bottom tray should slide right out, the big one it's almost the size of the bottom of the grill, not the little drip pan on the bottom. Don't be afraid of what looks like peeling paint inside the hood, this is not paint it is carbonized **** that gets stuck to the top of the inside of the hood. This is a normal phenomenon and only means the grill has been used. Check the condiditon of the cart, especially on the left hand side where the cook box attaches to the frame, that area is notorious for rusting. Check the lubrication of the knobs, they should easily twist. The casters should lock and unlock. If the grill passes all of these tests, I'd say it's worth $200.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if you want to pick up a project, you should spend no more than $50 on a grill of this vintage, and only even that much if you get it into your brain that you "need" a particular grill, such as what I did with my 2000:

https://tvwbb.com/threads/could-not-resist.59970/

I spent $25 on the grill itself, but then I put at least a couple hundred dollars and at least that many hours into fixing that one up (over the course of a couple years) to end up with my own personal best grill I can imagine. I still love that grill every single time I use it, I used it last night to make sausages and tonight I am going to make a rotisserie chicken with it. My next project is to add an outdoor light coming off of the electricity I just ran near the grill for plugging the rotisserie motor in.

At the end of the day, if you're looking for a project, it's not worth spending $200 to get started, with some patience and looking at a few online buy sell pages you can get started at more like zero to thirty dollars. If you're looking for an already finished product, and the grill is actually restored and / or in good enough condition to pass the tests above, then by all means go for it.

Good luck, keep us posted and we like pictures!

Rehabbers, what would you charge / what do you actually get for a rehabbed, good to excellent condition Silver B?

To me that depends on the Silver. The earlier ones, I think are in the $300 to $350 range if FULLY cleaned up, new parts, and nice grates. I think you might get $400 for a really nice late Silver B with the closed in cabinetry and black trim. I haven't proven that, but I think that those last ones look more modern and have a wider audience. Of course, these are just estimates and vary from locale to locale. Prices have generally been rising.

I know Dave and Bruce have way more recent selling experience. Look forward to them weighing in. Dave is closer to a major population center, while Bruce is in a more rural location.

Jon, great input!

Guys, what would you charge / get for the exact grill you see in post number 1, if fully intact and needing nothing?

Bought in 2000 and been in a screen porch entire life. Lady lives alone now and doesn't need it. Says was hardly used. I'll probably go take a look at itScreenshot 2022-01-06 135859 Gasser.png but is the NG to LP gas just an orifice change on this?

looks like CI grates, hard to say for sure but
Bought in 2000 and been in a screen porch entire life. Lady lives alone now and doesn't need it. Says was hardly used. I'll probably go take a look at it but is the NG to LP gas just an orifice change on this?

The best way is to change the manifold. @Bruce and others have more knowledge of the NG vs LP valves for this vintage.

You'll also need the part on the frame to hang the tank, and a tank scale, and a hose + regulator.

Tank Scale runs about $30 new.
Hose + regulator: weber brand is $40. I've used non-branded ones that cost about $15. some say non-branded ones have had problems. I've not had issues.

The frame on the left is a 2000 and the frame piece that holds the propane tank mount / scale is vertical.
You can find one from a donor and slide it / bolt it in.

1641499962714.png

Those look like better than average cast iron grates. They are potentially old enough to be the kind that does NOT have the smooth porcelain plating that Weber used in the early to mid 2000s. Those were awful, but the originals can be restored and re-seasoned. If those are that kind, it would be a big plus to me, although most here would prefer thick stainless rods (which are also very nice and a LOT easier to care for). I just have a sentimental affinity for cast iron and love cooking on it.

Overall, what you are showing us is a very decent, if a bit ho-hum, Genesis Silver. I agree with DanHoo that $200 seems a bit high. This is not a restored grill but rather a well taken care of one. I think $125 to $150 would be a lot closer to reality, but I don't know your market. You certainly would not be getting a bad grill at all (at least based on the pictures). In time you would want to replace the porcelain flavorizer bars when they start rusting out, but it looks like they are very solid right now.

So, if you like it and don't have a lot of other options, go for it! A little spit shine, redo the badge and paint the kettle red, and maybe a different handle, and it will look very nice. Another idea is to use the technique @Bruce has shown us for dyeing. I think doing that in black to the end trim pieces, handle, knobs and igniter switch would give it a whole new look. Then again, these are just showy things. The grill will cook great without any of them! :coolkettle:

Oh, and definitely find a used LP manifold and swap out. Someone here might even trade with you. Don't fiddle around with orifices, etc. unless you are a gas whiz like @LMichaels. An LP manifold for this grill should be relatively easy to obtain.

Well, if not this one what would all the good folks here say is the best used gasser for me to look out for? Simple gas grilling, no bells and whistles. I do appreciate all the input, its helped a lifetime charcoal guy tremendously.

Bought in 2000 and been in a screen porch entire life. Lady lives alone now and doesn't need it. Says was hardly used. I'll probably go take a look at itView attachment 42925 but is the NG to LP gas just an orifice change on this?
Re the gas change. Answer is "it could be" but likely not on a Genesis. Depends on which valves Weber installed new. So best bet is entire manifold. I have done many conversions BTW. If you did opt to simply swap orifices the good news is on that grill it would only be inconvenient rather than unsafe. Because it would run WAY hotter than normal on low/medium settings running propane/LP. Looks like a decent grill. Not $200 decent IMO. Maybe $75 to $100 decent.

Well, if not this one what would all the good folks here say is the best used gasser for me to look out for? Simple gas grilling, no bells and whistles. I do appreciate all the input, its helped a lifetime charcoal guy tremendously.
I'd just look out for one like the one you saw already, except already ready for propane. Are you looking for a ready to go grill or a project? Half the people on here I think are into the restoration process as much as the cooking process lol

Back