Gold or Platinum

Not a flip grill necessarily. Someone was asking me about it. Is this one of those Gold/Platinum grills that have different manifolds and stuff than the later year grills?

Burner tubes are the same as older genny's. From weber.com:

20428 Burner tube kit, Genesis 1-5500, Platinum, Genesis Gold 2000-2001, Genesis Platinum $50.75

I thought the Gold B/Cs of that vintage had the same burner tubes & manifold but the Flavorizer Bars were sized differently.

Jeff

I'm 75% sure the manifold is the same as a 1000 because I took that same grill but in a platinum version and swapped it out for a 13 bar cookbox.

I'm 75% sure the manifold is the same as a 1000 because I took that same grill but in a platinum version and swapped it out for a 13 bar cookbox.
I'm 100% sure they are the same because I have one in my garage with a 1000 LP manifold. The one I have came with a NG manifold and I swapped them after someone on the forum told me it would work and then sent me the manifold for free.

Bobby

OK, so platinum C uses a Genesis 1000 Manifold and burners? And so I am guessing the cook box is the same as a Genesis 1000 as well? Is all that correct?

Bruce,
Not sure about the Cook Box but the Flavorizer Bars are Weber # 9913 which are not only different length of 23 5/16" but are also a different height of 3" tall.

Jeff

I would say no with the cook box being the same as the Gold B/C uses 5 Flavorizer Bars vs 13 of the 1000.

Jeff

I think we have some confusion going on here about Gold versus Platinum. It looks like the grill in the picture in post #1 is of a Gold C from 2000-2001.

2001-weber-genesis-series-brochure_new-page-001.jpg

The Platinum C had a closed cabinet and a towel holder on the left side table.

Here's the schematic for GENESIS GOLD C LP BLK (2000-2001) (USA) 3261001 on Weber.com:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse/3261001

It is a five bar according to the schematic. That is where I sourced the part no. for the burner tubes. I don't see a part no. for the flavor bars.

OK, this has always confused me about these early 2000's Golds and Platinums. Thanks everyone.

But are the bars and burners and manifolds the same on the Gold as they are on the platinum?

Yah, i Have a guy who has a gold and a platinum. Seems both very similar years and he wants to combine them into one functional grill. I am trying to determine what parts I would need if he needs replacements and which parts between the two grills are swapable.

Platinum.jpg
Plat-gold.jpg

Attachments

• Platinum.jpg
    Platinum.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 2
The Platinum 3200 pictured is a twin of my 1996 Platinum II.
The Gold C is a rather Unique Weber only made for two years.
I had the chance to buy a couple Golds over the years and came close, but didn't pull the trigger.
The Platinum II is the much beefier of the two with its cast aluminum shelf surround vs the cheap plastic of the Gold C which fades and gets brittle over the years.
The Side Burner off the Platinum II is also more Heavy Duty than the Gold C with more Btu, it is also roomier as well.
Other than the full length basket in the front of the Gold C the Platinum II has it all over the Gold. The Platinum II is pretty much what the Summit tried to accomplish with the tried and true aluminum Cook Box of the Genesis.

My vote, keep the Platinum II.

Jeff

Last edited:

Back