Gobble Gobble

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Well, like so many others, we downsized our Thanksgiving this year to just the two of us. I'd picked up an 8.7 lb. turkey breast a couple of weeks ago and lined out the sides. Here's a few pictures of our meal.

I made the pumpkin pie on Wednesday to free up some hectic time on Thursday. Baked it on my 18" WSM.

DSC_4875 (Large).JPG

DSC_4880 (Large).JPG

Spent a lot of time on this Potato Gratin with Gruyere and Fresh Rosemary. Sliced up a couple pounds of sweet potatoes and Yukon Gold, thinnest setting on the Mandoline. Shredded up some Gruyere.

DSC_4883 (Large).JPG

Layered the potatoes alternating between the sweets and the golds. Placed a handful of cheese between potatoes. Repeated three times, Salted and peppered and sprinkled with fresh rosemary and minced garlic too. Topped casserole with some reserved cheese and topped with heavy cream. Put this in fridge until about an hour an a half before dinner.

DSC_4885 (Large).JPG

Nothing fancy with the turkey breast. Rubbed down with softened butter and salt and peppered. Placed turkey breast on the rotisserie and let it roll.

DSC_4890 (Large).JPG

Got my biscuits out of the way while the bird was spinning. These are Jalapeno Cheese Biscuits.

DSC_4893 (Large).JPG

Took a peek at the one hour mark. Replenished charcoal and checked IT at 138.

DSC_4897 (Large).JPG

Hour number 2, Temp up to around 156.

DSC_4899 (Large).JPG

Put the potato casserole on.

DSC_4902 (Large).JPG

Turkey hit 165 right around 3 hour mark.

DSC_4906 (Large).JPG

Casserole done a few minutes later.

DSC_4912 (Large).JPG

My plan was to do green bean casserole from scratch, but half my bagged green beans spoiled in the bag and I flat out ran out of time. Toasted what was salvageable on the JJ with some butter, salt and pepper.

DSC_4916 (Large).JPG

Plated everything up. The turkey was one of the best I've ever cooked. Moist and extremely flavorful. Didn't take any shots of my stuffing. I usually stuff the whole turkey and cook it that way but that was out so I made it from scratch (old Weber Recipe) and cooked it 40 minutes in the oven.

DSC_4919 (Large).JPG

DSC_4922 (Large).JPG

Dinner was great and we had fun, but we missed having the family with us. My wife brought out our nice hand made "company" dishes and put out a few decorations and we called Thanksgiving good for 2020. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and can now enjoy the weekend. Thank you all for looking.

Great looking Thanksgiving dinner Cliff! How did that pumpkin pie taste coming off of the WSM? I'm assuming you used charcoal only with no smoke wood, but did you get a little smoke flavor anyway? I bet that would be a nice savory note to go with the traditional pumpkin pie flavor.

Thanks everyone.
Great looking Thanksgiving dinner Cliff! How did that pumpkin pie taste coming off of the WSM? I'm assuming you used charcoal only with no smoke wood, but did you get a little smoke flavor anyway?
KBB is all I used John. Just water pan, no water. Absolutely no smoke flavor. Just like out of the oven, only more fun. :)

Back