Glow Plug Problems

Jerry We

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone used a blow torch or other method to light the SF when the glow plug doesn't fire? This is suggested on another site and they even have videos on how to do it. I can't believe it's safe and I even asked a Weber support person who said besides the safety issue it could void the warranty if something is damaged. I tried it once and it did work but I got huge temperature swings before it finally settled down. I've been without a glow plug for 3 weeks now because they were out of stock and then Weber ordered the wrong part.

I can't help with your question, but as someone who is looking to purchase a pellet grill in the coming weeks, is glow plug failure a common problem with the SF? It would seem that it still being a relatively new grill, the glow plugs already wearing out would be a bit of a concern.
Thanks,
Tim

I would not recommend it but have lighted my house heater when the glow plug went bad with a lighter on a very cold night. I would not recommend that either.

The glow plug wearing out is not a big concern. Weber estimates 150 ignitions with it. Some users have had issues with their Glow Plugs, but I am on my fourth month without any SF issues.

I did buy a spare Glow Plug for the SF. Plan on purchasing a spare fuse also.

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that I've gone through 3 glow plugs in 10 weeks. I read that the problem may be that the glow plug doesn't fit tightly in the bracket assembly and that you should use a radiator hose clamp to secure it and always test the glow plug with a multi-meter to make sure the plug is bad. Weber did just release a new version so maybe that will correct the problem. The plugs are covered under warranty and if you ask nicely the support rep will usually send you 2.

Last edited:
I cannot see how you can damage anything lighting the pellets with a torch. You're putting the torch flame in an area that gets extremely hot when you're running at 600 pit temp That's corporate CYA talk. I've done it and would do it again if needed. There's almost zero chance of burning yourself unless you get crazy with the torch. You will get the temp swings but it settles down reasonably fast unless you fill the burn pot with fresh pellets. That said, if it scared you when you did it then maybe it's not for you and I don't mean that as a put down. Jerry, I get scared on tall ladders and I flew Navy aircraft for 25 years. Some things just don't work for some people.

Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully I won't need to try it again since I got an email this afternoon that two of the new model glow plugs shipped today. I'm sure hoping that they work a lot better than the old model for me. I'm still so perplexed that some people have no problems and others continue to have problem after problem but what I do know is that I've cooked some killer BBQ when it runs right.

Not knowing how it is connected... i have to ask if the plug could possibly have a weak connection or heat sink. Maybe a bad bunch of glow plugs.

I made sure all of the glow plugs were properly seated in the bracket and the last one I used a small radiator hose clamp to help hold the ground against the plug but it didn't make any difference. Hopefully the new model glow plug will solve my problem. I wish I had a multi-meter to test them but not going to buy one just for that purpose. I'm attaching a picture of the proper connection.

Attachments

• smokefire glow plug properly seated.png
    smokefire glow plug properly seated.png
    103 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My daughter has a Traeger that's about 10 years old that they use a lot. After reading some of the comments here I called and asked her how many glow plugs have they gone through, she said "what's a glow plug". She has never replaced anything but a grate that the welds broke on.
But being a firm believer of Murphy I will order a spare for my camp chef, that will ensure that the original will last forever.

My daughter has a Traeger that's about 10 years old that they use a lot. After reading some of the comments here I called and asked her how many glow plugs have they gone through, she said "what's a glow plug". She has never replaced anything but a grate that the welds broke on.
But being a firm believer of Murphy I will order a spare for my camp chef, that will ensure that the original will last forever.
The Camp Chef and many others use a hot rod. Mine is 6 years old and I don’t have a spare. They can last a few months or many years.

l suspect that Weber switched vendors hence the new part number. Just a guess.

The Camp Chef and many others use a hot rod. Mine is 6 years old and I don’t have a spare. They can last a few months or many years.

l suspect that Weber switched vendors hence the new part number. Just a guess.
Sure hope that solves the problem

Sorry to keep dragging this post on and on but I really want to get my SF back up and running and start smoking great BBQ again. I received a new glow plug today and while I was supposed to receive 2 I'm thrilled to get 1 after waiting 3 weeks. Visually they look exactly the same but the # on the new plug is TY24V2040D while the old is TY24V1947. I decided to buy a multi-meter and test them so I know if anything changes after using it. As shown in the picture the new plug showed 9.3 OHMs while all 3 of the old plugs showed zero. Believe me I have no idea what I'm doing but I read somewhere that a new plug should read around 10.9 OHMs and a used plug should read around 6 OHM. Maybe someone can help me out here. Anyway probably won't be able to install and test until Friday but will report back as soon as I can.

Attachments

• smokefire glow plug test good.jpg
    smokefire glow plug test good.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 14
  • smokefire glow plug test bad.jpg
    smokefire glow plug test bad.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 14
Perfect. Maybe the old number ones had issues. Lets hope these new ones make it a solid cooker. I do wonder if some sfs got a part or two out of variance, maybe even software, and that does the glow plug in. Is it hard to change the plug?

I decided to buy a multi-meter and test them so I know if anything changes after using it. As shown in the picture the new plug showed 9.3 OHMs while all 3 of the old plugs showed zero

Uh, Jerry..... the "0L" in the display for the plug stands for "Overload", aka infinite resistance. That's not a zero ohms reading, that would indicate a dead short through the glow plug. If all of the bad plugs read "0L", they've all burned out.

Ah ha! Thanks that is very helpful. Glad I posted the pics and I told you I didn't have a clue how it works:). All 3 of the bad plugs read "OL". The third one only lasted one or two cooks which makes me wonder what's going to happen when I try the new plug even if its a new version. I think I'll call Weber support before I try.

I think/hope it will work great. Maybe rin the test tonight then smoke the Turkey is done or you have to move it to another device. Get some smoke on it.

Beautiful but crisp day this morning here in Northern Illinois with an outside temperature of 40 degrees so decided to install the new glow plug. I’m totally gun shy right now so did everything by the manual. Installed the new glow plug in the new bracket assembly making sure there was a tight fit and the ground was properly seated but did not use a radiator hose clamp just because I shouldn’t have to; removed all the old pellets and filled with fresh Weber pellets; plugged directly into the outlet with no extension cord; and finally made sure app, software and firmware were all up-to-date.

The screen showed 45 degrees and I set the temperature for 600. In about 2 minutes the temperature was at 55 and there was smoke. After 10 minutes the temperature was still at 55 and there was no smoke. Opened the lid and there were hardly any pellets in the pot but the glow plug was hot so I shut the lid and waited. It took awhile but there was smoke again and after 23 minutes it hit 600. As I recall the last time I checked it took 13 minutes but it was probably 90 degrees outside so this might be ok. Shut it down and after about an hour set it for 225 which it reached very quickly. Turned on Smoke Boost and let in run for 20 minutes before turning it off and setting the temp for 300 which it reached very quickly so I shut it down. Hopefully this new glow plug version has fixed my problems.

The weather is supposed to be sunny but crisp here for the next 10 days so I intend to use it everyday with low and slow as well as grilling. Hopefully I will have lots of great pictures to post. If things go well, I will gradually start changing things up by using other brand pellets again (I love Lumber Jack), use an extension cord, etc. but will be taking baby steps making sure each change is not causing the old problems.

I’d like to thank everyone that has helped and supported me along the way. You are all great!

Right now, I’m feeling really good again about the SmokeFire! :)

It sounds like your auger wasn't filled with pellets on the first try but that's great news Jerry. Roll smoke.

Back