Glatt kosher turkey

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I bought two of these from Trader Joe’s, 14.5 lb and 15.5 lb. The ratings are all over the place on these turkeys, has anyone had them and what did you think about them. I’m having around 13 people over for turkey day and I’m hoping they are pretty good.

Don’t salt them. Kosher birds are already wet salt brined as part of the kashering process. And yes, the flavor is incredible, because they’re already wet brined. And the same for kosher chicken.

I’d recco you buy one of the TJs kosher chickens and cook that first so you’ll understand how the birds are already salt brined.

I grew up eating kosher birds and that is THE reason why I dry and wet brine my poultry. Because kosher birds taste better from their kashering process.

Read this for more info: https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/19111/brining-a-kosher-bird

Note, I personally do not add salt to kosher meats when cooking or preparing them. I stand by my buy some kosher chicken parts first and try your turkey rub on them before doing your turkey for thanksgiving. The last thing you want is to serve a salt bomb to your guests.

Last edited:
Don’t salt them. Kosher birds are already wet salt brined as part of the kashering process. And yes, the flavor is incredible, because they’re already wet brined. And the same for kosher chicken.

I’d recco you buy one of the TJs kosher chickens and cook that first so you’ll understand how the birds are already salt brined.

I grew up eating kosher birds and that is THE reason why I dry and wet brine my poultry. Because kosher birds taste better from their kashering process.

Read this for more info: https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/19111/brining-a-kosher-bird

Note, I personally do not add salt to kosher meats when cooking or preparing them. I stand by my buy some kosher chicken parts first and try your turkey rub on them before doing your turkey for thanksgiving. The last thing you want is to serve a salt bomb to your guests.
Thanks for the information! I wanted the 14-15 lb. birds and these hit the mark. I normally get the brined young turkey from TJ but those were larger this year.

Back