Getting my late Father-in-law's kettle ready to cook

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
This is were I found my late father-in-law's kettle when I went to start to move my mother-in-law out of her house. Well actually this is after I pulled it out of that bush.
IMG_20210710_102307610_HDR.jpg

I threw away the rusted charcoal grate before I transported it, this is what I had to work with once I got it to it's new home.
IMG_20211003_093049104_HDR.jpg

I got rid of the old one touch system, took off the handled for clean and to to place them back on correctly (for the first time ever), and went to work. And here is what I got.
IMG_20211021_133523494_HDR.jpg
Added the new one touch cleaning system.
IMG_20211021_134732972_HDR.jpg
New wheels and new front stopper.
IMG_20211021_134719850_HDR.jpg
New charcoal grate and I cleaned up my Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System that moved from my Master Touch to it's new home in pop pop's kettle.
IMG_20211021_150650645_HDR.jpg
Handles back on.
IMG_20211021_151057182_HDR.jpg
And here it is ready to cook.
IMG_20211021_151144129_HDR.jpg
I am planning to smoke a pork shoulder and a whole chicken tomorrow and Saturday for my niece's 8th birthday party. I am excited to get it cooking again.

Nice job, Michael. I have a few of my dad's things that always remind me of him when I use them.....my favorite is his 12" CI skillet. Good work polishing up pop pop's grill, tons more memories to be made, and remembered with that bad boy!

R

Grill his favorite as your first cook!
His favorite cook was BBQ boneless skinless chicken thighs. They were really good! I have attempted to get close to his version of the cook a few times, and my mother-in-law, sisters-in-law said it took them back to him being here cooking it for them. I think he would be ok with the first cook being for his grand-daughter's birthday meal (it will also be the first ever low and slow cook on this kettle), but you are right I got to get some BLSL thighs asap for my second cook.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, getting this kettle ready to cook was an important project for me and I am really happy with how it come out. My father-in-law was the first person I ever saw consistently use the Weber Kettle as his only outdoor grill. He passed away before I got into cooking with Charcoal, so this will be the closest I get to cooking with him!

So guys, I totally just noticed I put one of the handles on upside down.:oops::LOL::ROFLMAO: The handles just don't want to be put on correctly on this grill. I take that as the sign that my father-in-law is still letting me know who's grill it is. I will be getting that one positioned the right way before I cook on it.

That's awesome Michael. Having that BBQ will keep him alive in your lives every time you use it

That's awesome Michael. Having that BBQ will keep him alive in your lives every time you use it
One of the other items we were gifted from my mother-in-law was my father-in-law's parents' 1976 grandfather clock. My wife can remember that clock at her grandparents house as a child, and then her house as a teenager. We just got it serviced and running on Wednesday. She said the chimes takes her back to her childhood. So between the clock and the grill, I think he is will us this week!

Back