Genesis Silver B - swing table "alternative" / DIY option

David-Belfast

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

New to the forum 👋

Just bought a second hand Genesis Silver B (2005) which was an upgrade from my outback 2 burner.. and my goodness Weber things are built well and quality

However, it seems the swing up table has been lost in its time?
Looking for one is proving difficult and the more I read the rarer they seem 😄 especially in Ireland

Wouldd anyone be happy to take some measurements for me to try and "make" one for myself

David,

Welcome to TVWBB! Glad to have you here. Would you be willing to post a couple pictures just so we can be sure to measure the right thing. There are some differences between US and European models, so we wouldn't want to give you incorrect information. I admire your ambition to tackle this!

If you can post pictures, please be sure to show the part on the frame where the table swings (both sides).

David,

Welcome to TVWBB! Glad to have you here. Would you be willing to post a couple pictures just so we can be sure to measure the right thing. There are some differences between US and European models, so we wouldn't want to give you incorrect information. I admire your ambition to tackle this!

If you can post pictures, please be sure to show the part on the frame where the table swings (both sides).
Thanks Jon.

Yes I can see the table on everyone else's, so I'm sad to be missing out.. I have managed to source the bracket on eBay (from the USA) so figured if I have the shape and sizes I could fashion something out of wood/metal and fashion the bracket on to make my own one haha

Photos attached to assist

I would need almost blueprint style schematics 😂 but more measurements the better... Also being UK bAsed I'd appreciate metric measures 😂😂

Screenshot_20230509-205926~3.pngScreenshot_20230509-205932~3.png

Welcome David.

Pics are always best to help sort things out. The newer Silver's have a curved front to the removable work table, and also have a curved front to the swing up table.

The older style is below and the front edge is straighter. These came off of a 2000 or 2001 Silver B.

20230509_130928.jpg

20230509_131011.jpg

I would think that pictures and measurements of the actual hardware for the table would be most helpful. I haven't looked at a Silver in a while but it's a rod and a bracket that locks the table up?

Welcome David.

Pics are always best to help sort things out. The newer Silver's have a curved front to the removable work table, and also have a curved front to the swing up table.

The older style is below and the front edge is straighter. These came off of a 2000 or 2001 Silver B.

View attachment 70352

View attachment 70353
Ok yes, mine is different to that but only slightly.. I'll get some pictures of my end.
Ine is the newer one.

Trying to find pictures of the hardware when I don't have them is difficult :)

I would think that pictures and measurements of the actual hardware for the table would be most helpful. I haven't looked at a Silver in a while but it's a rod and a bracket that locks the table up?
I have the rod and have ordered the bracket as well..

So need to work out the initial shape/size of the table and then go from there. Otherwise maybwaitnfor the bracket and work round that?

How does the table lift and lock/unlock

Sorry David, I wasn't being clear. I just meant that it would be helpful to you to see pictures of the hardware and how it fits/works on the grill.

Sorry David, I wasn't being clear. I just meant that it would be helpful to you to see pictures of the hardware and how it fits/works on the grill.
Yes absolutely 😊👍

It seems like a lot of effort, but a bit of wood and this bracket I'm getting it would be good to see

But It could be a big ask, thanks

@David-Belfast Your Silver B has the newer-style work surfaces. I believe the only difference is the shape of the front of the table when compared to the one I showed above, yet I'm not certain.

Do you have the hardware piece that attaches to the backside? That is the piece that holds the grill up into the catch that is on the frame leg.

Let me look to see if I can find a picture.

edit: this is the best I've found. It is the black metal piece

3628.jpg

edit2: here is one from eBay

@David-Belfast Your Silver B has the newer-style work surfaces. I believe the only difference is the shape of the front of the table when compared to the one I showed above, yet I'm not certain.

Do you have the hardware piece that attaches to the backside? That is the piece that holds the grill up into the catch that is on the frame leg.

Let me look to see if I can find a picture.
This, I believe is what I have ordered from eBay?

Picture below.

Thanks again for your help, it may be an odd request, but I wonder if possible could be of use to others... Maybe haha

My understanding is to attach the silver knob into the slot on my table, but then work out how to lift and lower the table to attach it in

Screenshot_20230509-224459~2.png

Got it. Checkout the manual page 21/22 It shows how the table is installed. The metal piece is glued onto the back of the plastic piece.

The plastic piece has a hole through it that pivots on the rod.

I can take some measurements later this evening, unless someone provides them sooner.

note: My measurements are for the older style, but again I think they are the same size.

oops: forgot to link to the manual...

Got it. Checkout the manual page 21/22 It shows how the table is installed. The metal piece is glued onto the back of the plastic piece.

The plastic piece has a hole through it that pivots on the rod.

I can take some measurements later this evening, unless someone provides them sooner.

note: My measurements are for the older style, but again I think they are the same size.

oops: forgot to link to the manual...

This is great resource, I could work out exactly how to make it work haha

So I'm guessing the width of the table is slightly less than the bar so as to allow it to slide left/right for attack and detach to the bracket?

If you are able to get rough measurements that would be great.

I'll get a rough mockup drawn tomorrow..

My initial thought is wood table.. then L brackets to run the bar through and then attach the bracket

Hopefully a couple of rough prototypes with leftover wood in garage

The black bracket is attached to the table with screws. I think there are three of them.

I think pics dis assembled will help.

Is yours apart or put together?
I think those pictures give you a pretty good idea of how it needs to work. Making a table out of wood, maybe even an old cutting board seems pretty doable. The only other thing is to find some way of attaching the rod to the table so it can still move freely up and down and slightly to the side.

Back