Genesis: Questions re rotisserie, grates, and cover

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
I just picked up a 2016 Genesis E-330.

Rotisserie: I'd like a rotisserie. I seem to recall someone suggesting one made by a company other than Weber. Anyone know that company or have thoughts on it vs. the Weber model?

I have a Weber rotisserie kit for my kettle. Is there any way to use the motor from it and just buy the Genesis mounting bracket and spit?

Grates: My grill came with cast iron grates. Weber says flat side up, but I see some like pointy side up. Thoughts?

Others prefer the stainless steel grates. Should I consider getting those? They go for $129.99 on Weber's site, so I would not switch lightly.

Cover: My grill sits under the eave of the house, so it is not out in the weather, but it gets a fair amount of splash on it. My Spirit sat in the same spot for years, but the shroud eventually rusted out. Weber replaced it under the old 25 (?) year warranty on that part. Should I get a cover for the Genesis, or will that just encourage mildew/mold?

I see folks complained to Weber that the $79.99 cover was a piece of junk that rotted out in a year, and Weber said they now sell a better product with a 3-year warranty. Looks like some folks who complained got free replacement covers.

Any tips, experiences, or suggestions on these issues are appreciated.

First is the rotisserie. I do not believe the new Weber grills are suited for rotisserie cooking. You'll actually notice the idea of it is rather buried on Weber's own web site. Having one two small surface areas on the ends of whatever type of roast you're doing will not turn out well. Case in point say a small turkey. You'll only get over cooled end near the wish bone and ends of the legs. IN order for rotisserie to truly be the wonderful method it can be your meat needs to be "bathed" in heat across the entire product not the ends only. The old Weber Genesis grills were so well suited to this it was one of the things Weber itself really "pushed" in it's advertising. Because the the long burners across the front and back of the grill lent the grills VERY well to PROPER rotisserie performance. An infrared burner across the back of the grill is another way or even a conventional burner with deflector as used on models such as BroilKing perform VERY well also. So bottom line I would not waste time or $$$$ trying to fit a rotisserie to your 2016 model.
Grates? I would not waste my $$$ on the Weber grates. Spaced too wide, and tiny little bars. If you want to go with SS get them from RCPlanebuyer you'll get much higher quality and they'll be the last you ever buy. As for your CI grates which side up is really "up" to you (pun intentional here).
Covers too are quite subjective. IMO a very heavy canvas cover is best.

I have a Genesis S330 and I got the Rotisserie for it. Bottom line: It's too low to the burners. Even if I pull the grates and the flavor bars, whole chickens, roasts, etc will rub. Now loins, and game hens cook real nice, but basically your maximum clearance is approx 8 inches. I've asked Santa for a Rotisserie for my kettle. The Roto for the Genesis is so so, at best

I can't comment on the rotisserie. I don't own one.

Regarding grates I like stainless. Cast iron is ok. They just don't last as long. If I was you I would use your cast iron grates until they wear out then go to stainless. Lmichaels is right that the ones from rcplanerbuyer are best. I love mine.

Regarding covers. I would cover it. My 2 grills sit under a covered deck too. My grills like yours get some moisture though. I think a cover is always a good idea. I have a cover from Sam's club on my weber 1000. It was cheap to buy but has vents on the side and is pretty well made. It was on my old Kenmore grill before I inherited the 1000 and its about 5 years old. I probably need to replace it this year but considering I only paid $15 that's ok. It may fit your newer weber? It fits my old 100 pretty well. I have a weber cover on my other smaller genesis A. It's ok but doesn't seem as well made as the Sam's cover and it cost 3 times as much.

I have a CEP-310 and chose this model for the stainless grates. So easy to maintain. Like the others, I'd recommend stainless.

The cover I buy is from the shop I bought the Genesis at and is not Weber branded. It has a mesh running side to side where the long vent is on the back of the lid. No problems with mold or mildew.

I just picked up a 2016 Genesis E-330.

Rotisserie: I'd like a rotisserie. I seem to recall someone suggesting one made by a company other than Weber. Anyone know that company or have thoughts on it vs. the Weber model?

I have a Weber rotisserie kit for my kettle. Is there any way to use the motor from it and just buy the Genesis mounting bracket and spit?

OneGrill sells rotisserie spits and mounting brackets with good stainless steel.

However, I agree with Greg. The current North-South orientation of the Genesis burners does not lend itself well to rotisserie

Regarding the grates, I have cast iron and originally had them pointy side up. Looking through some internets, I found they are designed to be flat side up, to allow drippings to run down the triangles and burn off. You get fatter lines on your meats, but it's not overkill at all in my opinion. So I'm a flat side up guy, for what it's worth!

Slainte!

Tim

I have the EP-330, and the rotisserie is not optimal because of the low clearance and the burner orientation. The roto would work better if the burners were parallel to the rotating spit, rather than perpendicular to it.
My first grill cover was a Weber, and it only lasted a couple of years. My replacement cover is a Veranda for $34, and it has lasted much longer and was much less expensive than Weber's cover.

Like William said, Onegrill is the place to go for rotisseries. Quality stuff, and I'm pretty sure you can buy the kit without the motor and use yours. Their motor is NICE, though.

What part of Louisiana are you in? I'm in River Ridge, near New Orleans.

You can buy any of Weber accessories from Amazon for a lot less money. The SS grates I got from Amazon are heavy duty and well worth the money.

Back