Genesis Platinum C - is it time to retire?

Joey Langan

Hi,

Read through this forum a lot of times - but finally joined. I am the original owner of a Genesis Platinum. 5 years ago, I took it apart and refurbed the best I could (replaced burners, flavorizers, removed as much rust as I could from the bottom shelf and painted with rustoleum) - and have used it happily for another 5 years.

This is where I am at today ... the bottom tray is rusting out and now there is rust on the lid liner (which last I cooked got on the food).

How bad it is to use without the liner? I've read where it doesn't warm up as well and that the stainless will discolor. I've looked for "new" lids - and it seems like even if I found one - shipping seems to makes them prohibitive. I've looked on facebook marketplace and haven't found a local lid (stainless or enameled) - and even that will be a pain - as I don't have a way to pick anything up. Also I was going to go in this spring and completely remove the bottom shelf and make something to replace (I've seen a few good posts here). Finally, when I went to go use it last week, the QCC1 tank connector just broke - so another expense (small) there.

My parents said they would chip in some for new grill (birthday). My wife says she if ok with me getting a new grill. I am getting some $ back from the tax man. I don't want to refurb anything - I just don't have the time.

Thoughts?

And if I decide to get rid of it, anyone in the Houston area want it? - I would love to see it go to a loving home. Also - is there anything new worth buying? Seems like a lot of advice here would be to refurb a grill and not get nice new weber - but still interested. Tried looking for any brand USA made one - and can't find one in a reasonable price range.

Thanks!

20230312_154757870_iOS Large.jpeg
20230312_155035134_iOS Large.jpeg

Last edited:
That thing has definitely seen better days. It can be salvaged but the big thing in the room is 1. Do you want to? And 2. Do you have the ability? Know too the new ones are not as flexible though it seems like all you do is grill so you will likely not note the difference and may even relish it. As for removing the liner just do it. It's really not necessary. Only there to help stop "bluing" of the lid. Don't do much else. But, you definitely have a LOT of work there to salvage it

Rip the liner out and keep cooking on it. You would pay well over $2000 for a grill of that quality.
Any Genesis 1000 or Silver/Gold/Platinum lid will fit that grill. People sell them cheap or free. Just grab the lid. The colored enamel ones don't use liners and they are prettier. Use some trex decking or even wood to replace the rusted out bottom. Or remove the entire cabinet and put in a wire rack which can be claimed off another Genesis grill.20210820_140035.jpg

Bruce, that “Skyline” is really an exception to my normal rule of “keep it original”. Coming from the vintage instrument world, and vintage watch world, original is best but, in that piece, the marriage of box and frame is a thing of beauty!

I have swapped lids on that grill a couple times. I put a blue lid on it to start with. I actually liked that better. But the grill is actually a Franken Grill with a 13 bar deep box in it so at this point, originality is out the window. I am currently in the process off adding yet more customization to it. Well, it all reality, I guess I am making it closer to original. I will post some specifics later this spring when temps rise and I can get out and work on it a bit more.

Hey, fixing these old grills up is not for everyone. You certainly have all the ammunition you need to justify buying a new grill. I would still rather have a new Weber grill than most other brands, just don't expect that it's going to last over twenty years like the one you have there. Since that old grill has a stainless steel frame, except for the parts that are rusted out, it would be a desirable restoration candidate for someone with basic skills and the desire to do it. If you decide to get a new one just list it on Facebook marketplace, OfferUp, or Craigslist and I'm sure someone will take it off your hands without the need to trash it.

You still have what many would consider to be the ultimate in Weber grills, and you bought it new. What frequently puts these old grills down is frame failure, and yours is (almost) uniquely stainless.
I'd just follow Bruce's advice above and figure out some way to keep this gem.
I still have my Spirit 700 I bought new in 1994, and still can easily buy what it needs to keep it going.......

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the comments so far.

Thanks for confirming its relative uniqueness/quality and that the lid liner is not required. Also thanks for setting the expectation that they don't build them like they used do. I am no expert, am reasonably capable, and yes - I just need to decide if this is something I should do. You are all giving me a lot to think about and consider.

Yeah, for sure overall a better grill than a new one BUT, you have to decide if you can fix it up, do you have the time, etc. There will be an awful lot of skills required. Case in point, myself. My old Genesis has pretty severe rust issue on left frame by fire box. By time I realized how bad it was it had progressed pretty far. It needs welding. So I have to make decisions. So I fork over the $$$ for welding equipment and materials then try to learn a skill I currently do not have, and if I fail at that skill I am now out those costs plus the cost of either A, hiring someone to do it or B, replacing the grill.
It's pretty easy to fall into a pretty deep hole. Like Clint says "A man's GOT to know his limitations"

OK, I am gonna look through some things I have around here, some reason I THINK I might have a left frame piece. If so I am golden

Again, thanks to everyone for the encouragement - I am going to go ahead and fix it. @LMichaels - agree about knowing ones limits. As long as I don’t have to get into welding - I should be ok. I’ve checked as much as and I don’t see any major corrosion on the stainless frame - just a little surface rust from contact with the other parts.. The firebox has some minor paint issues on the outside, but not sure it is worth touching - although I’ll clean it off some inside and out to check for any corrosion I can’t see.

For now, I am going to fix up the lid (remove rusty sections of the liner) and remove the side panels, remaining door and the rusted bottom tray. It doesn’t seem like the side panels provided much if any structural support. I likely will need to replace the drip tray and I am working on figuring out design for the rusted bottom and sides. I’d like to have the bottom part closed in with the stainless doors and side panels, but there may too much rust on the side panels that I won’t want to mess with. I also don’t want to go to the expense of buying metal to replace the panels, so if I can’t restore, I’ll just open it up.

One thing I did discover as I searched around some more, is that the lid and firebox have 25 year warranties. I put in for a warranty replacement lid on Tuesday and got the new lid today … the only thing (and I knew this going into it), the replacement lid is black enamel, with gray sides and a stainless handle. Sure stainless would have been nicer, but it is what it is. In any case, it gives me a spare lid to use while I work on the stainless one. If I don’t like the blueing of the stainless or if I find the black looking really nice, I have a no cost replacement. The lid includes the thermometer too, which even though they aren’t very good, mine had failed.

I like the porcelain coated lid better than Stainless. They are easier to keep clean and looking nice IMO. They don't have the infernal liner either. That is cool that yours has the gray end caps though.

You can't have a better frame for rehabbing. Keep us posted.

I like the porcelain coated lid better than Stainless. They are easier to keep clean and looking nice IMO. They don't have the infernal liner either. That is cool that yours has the gray end caps though.

You can't have a better frame for rehabbing. Keep us posted.
I've always preferred the enameled lids as well, and new is new. I look at it as a bonus for not having to mess around with the old lid.

If you like the SS lid simply rip out the liner and call it a day. There is no fixing them and they relly don't have much purpose than to help deter bluing of the stainless

Back