Genesis Platinum 4B

TomA-Norway

TVWBB Member
Genesis Platinum 4B, up for sale - in Norway!
First one I've seen for sale in this country, he wants the equivalent of 300$ in NOK..
I've asked for more pictures.
Also, it's a 14 hour roundtrip :oops: if it's something worth acquiring for that amount?

Attachments

• Platinum1.jpg
    Platinum1.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Platinum2.jpg
    Platinum2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Platinum3.jpg
    Platinum3.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Platinum4.jpg
    Platinum4.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 19
That's a tough question. Kind of boils down to how badly you want something like that. Me? I wouldn't but then I have my holy grail in my Wolf. So IDK, perhaps if one of these is your "holy grail" yeah. The price IMO looks a little steep and it does seem to have a case of the shelf "droopies" common to this model I guess. Nothing insurmountable. Tough question there

I agree with Larry. Here in the US, it would not be worth it for the money alone. Never mind the 700 mile trip at $3.00 US a gallon for gas.

But, that is me. It may be worth it to you with a very limited supply. I currently own my own SS Platinum frankengrill and think they are the best of the Genesis line. One thing to consider is the cabinet, which is plain steel. Ask for photos of the interior of the cabinet, particularly the floor as they tend to be rust magnet over here in the USA.

I think Larry (LMichaels) and Bruce have covered it well. I love these grills and previously owned one. Sorry that I had to sell when I moved cross-country. I did a few modifcations to mine, including installing a Summit thermometer and handle light.

IMG_3858(1).jpg

I also understand that the availability of a Weber Genesis platinum grill in Norway is probably very few. So, that price - and the long drive - probably wouldn't make sense here but perfect sense for you.

p.s. My last name - Tofte - is of Norwegian descent. It is a very rare name in the US, but I understand not all that uncommon in Norway. Most Scandinavians who came to the US migrated to our states of Minnesota and North Dakota - both VERY COLD places :LOL: . There is even a small town in Minnesota named "Tofte." My ancestors arrived at Ellis Island in New York City and just stayed in New York. Maybe they liked the milder climate:D! I wish I knew more about them.

What's the standard Norwegian etiquette around price negotiation? There is already some rust on the floor panel, right below where the doors meet. That tells me that the floor is probably in poor shape. You might be able to use that as a bargaining chip in your favor, and it's not an insurmountable issue if you have even basic metal fabrication skills.

Regardless, it's a beautiful grill, and I love mine. If you can talk him down to about half that price, and you really want the grill, I'd say it might be worth a day of your time to go get it.

I agree with Larry. Here in the US, it would not be worth it for the money alone. Never mind the 700 mile trip at $3.00 US a gallon for gas.

But, that is me. It may be worth it to you with a very limited supply. I currently own my own SS Platinum frankengrill and think they are the best of the Genesis line. One thing to consider is the cabinet, which is plain steel. Ask for photos of the interior of the cabinet, particularly the floor as they tend to be rust magnet over here in the USA.
Bruce,
Thanks, I've already asked specifically for pictures of the cabinet and floor, also the insides of the cook box.

What's the standard Norwegian etiquette around price negotiation? There is already some rust on the floor panel, right below where the doors meet. That tells me that the floor is probably in poor shape. You might be able to use that as a bargaining chip in your favor, and it's not an insurmountable issue if you have even basic metal fabrication skills.

Regardless, it's a beautiful grill, and I love mine. If you can talk him down to about half that price, and you really want the grill, I'd say it might be worth a day of your time to go get it.
I will definitely try to negotiate the price, and then figure out if it's worth it :)

I've been pondering doing just that. Was there anything to it that I might not anticipate? Does it have an alignment tab like the original?
As I remember, I had to drill a new hole in the hood to allow the Summit thermometer alignment tab to work.

Hmmm... I just noticed that it looks like it's plumbed for natural gas. Not an insurmountable obstacle if you wanted to run bottle gas, but it is something to confirm and consider.

Hmmm... I just noticed that it looks like it's plumbed for natural gas. Not an insurmountable obstacle if you wanted to run bottle gas, but it is something to confirm and consider.
LeeHarvey,
I do not think so, there's a cannister of sorts over the propane bottle, see attached picture.
And I've yet to see one plumbed for natural gas in Norway.
Still waiting for more pictures..

Attachments

• Platinum5.jpg
    Platinum5.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 11
Received more pics, but I think the drive is too far... Have not bothered discussing the price due to the travel distance.

Attachments

• Platinum6.jpg
    Platinum6.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Platinum7.jpg
    Platinum7.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Platinum8.jpg
    Platinum8.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 16
I don't know... that floor pan looks pretty good, despite the spots of rust on the front.

If it were me, I wouldn't be afraid to find an excuse to make the drive.

Probably the best floor pan on one of those grills I have seen. Many that I have seen here only have half the physical bottom pan left after years of rusting. That being said, if it just isn't in the cards, then don't force the issue.
But, if it is a matter of grill price combined with cost of gas to go get it, I would consider asking for a discount to help defray the gas cost. If it is drive time issue or something else, then probably just better to pass.

Last edited:
Bruce, a bit of both, gas prices is highest ever, and the drive will be crossing over snow covered mountains, which will add to the time it takes back and forth. Toll road, and then the price of the grill, which probably can be discussed.
Wnter is definately here.. Sad to let it go, this one and the SS Summit 6B discussed earlier I've never seen in Norway before.
Thread 'Summit Platinum SS 6 Burner'

Last edited:

Back