Genesis II S-410

Jorgen-Sweden

Hi! I was really lucky and got a couple of years old Genesis II S-410 that had a fat fire box burn through. The guy that gave it to me got a new one from the insurance company so he was happy to give it away to someone who could try and fix it. I have checked with Weber about getting a new fire box on the warranty but could not get one as it was a fat burn through.I could buy a new cook box for about 400$ but I’m going to try to repair it. Found this repair which looked ok, so I’m giving it a try. https://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2014/05/repairing-fire-box-burn-through/
E299C3D2-3067-4D7A-BF89-0360F2F49964.jpeg9FCBD92B-642F-4F50-9828-B910C999BD13.jpeg12070421-D5C6-42E9-8A54-38B836C0913E.jpeg744BF70B-E9AE-4E45-A814-7A022062B679.jpegC6F2D9AB-39F3-4943-9877-4C8174044C1E.jpeg

new meaning of "fire in the hole!" that's insane. crazier than anything i've ever done to a weber box! you sure that wasn't some shaped charge meant to eliminate the chef?

new meaning of "fire in the hole!" that's insane. crazier than anything i've ever done to a weber box! you sure that wasn't some shaped charge meant to eliminate the chef?
Yeah maybe it was ;)

No, according to the chef he had put some nice Brazilian meat on the grill with lots of fat on it and left it alone for a while to do some sauce inside the house. When he got out again after a few minutes the grill was on fire.

I am sure that grill was full of previous grease from some fad laden meat before the infero cook.

That fix you linked to looks like a nice job on his grill. But yours might be a bit more difficult. Let us know how it goes.

Used the multitool and cut away the bent aluminum. Bought a sheet of 2mm aluminum which hopefully will be ok to bend. I have started forming a cardboard sheet to get the right size to cut the aluminum sheet.

Attachments

• F70EAF08-CD91-4A57-985C-BBF9EBCBDB66.jpeg
    F70EAF08-CD91-4A57-985C-BBF9EBCBDB66.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 3F834D29-45D0-4E25-B771-1E3B31D17285.jpeg
    3F834D29-45D0-4E25-B771-1E3B31D17285.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 79FD12EA-2776-488D-AE13-4920CEB37BCE.jpeg
    79FD12EA-2776-488D-AE13-4920CEB37BCE.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 28
I admire your determination and hope it works out well! We are enjoying watching you take on this challenge😎.

LOoks to me like you are doing a great job on it so far. I am interested to see where you go with it. Did you consider a piece of stainless instead of aluminum?

LOoks to me like you are doing a great job on it so far. I am interested to see where you go with it. Did you consider a piece of stainless instead of aluminum?
Yes, thought about that, but choose aluminum instead of stainless mainly because I have read that it’s easier to bend and the rest of the fire box is aluminum too. Stainless can stand the heat better and is cheaper, maybe I could use a thinner stainless so it’s easy to bend? I’ve thought about putting another pice of sheet on the outside for extra protection between the gas and the fire box. I’ve no direct experience bending metal sheets and have no special tools for it. But I’ve found some YouTube videos on it so I’ll try some different ways. What’s your thoughts about it?

The damage can most certainly be repaired for less than the cost of a new firebox, but the trade-off is that it won't ever be quite as good as new. I guess a lot comes down to the quality of the repair as well. I wish you luck. Whether it is worth the trouble to fix depends on how skilled and motivated you are and how much you value your time. I would focus of safety - trying to limit the chance that flames could ever burn through or shoot out the side of the repair.

Yes, thought about that, but choose aluminum instead of stainless mainly because I have read that it’s easier to bend and the rest of the fire box is aluminum too. Stainless can stand the heat better and is cheaper, maybe I could use a thinner stainless so it’s easy to bend? I’ve thought about putting another pice of sheet on the outside for extra protection between the gas and the fire box. I’ve no direct experience bending metal sheets and have no special tools for it. But I’ve found some YouTube videos on it so I’ll try some different ways. What’s your thoughts about it?
I probably would have gone with stainless without much thought on it. That is why I inquired why you chose the aluminum. In my mind, a thinner piece of stainless would up better than the aluminum even if it is a bit thicker. Bending it to match the cook box contours will be a challenge either way, but it just seems to me that stainless would be easier... In my mind, it would hold up to the heat better than a sheet of aluminum like Larry mentioned even if the aluminum is a bit thicker than the stainless.
But, I am no expert and am hoping to learn something from however you decide to take this.

To be perfectly honest, if it was me, I would dump the old cook box and then just go on a hunt for a donor grill to steal one off of. They do show up. Even the newer ones. They get tipped over, blown over, trees fall on them, cars hit them, etc...... And people just push them to the curb. The 4 burner thing makes that a bit harder though.

Oh, well yah, that probably does damper things a bit more. I bet 400 series grills are hard to come by.

Thanks for your replies, I’ve changed my mind and I’m going for stainless instead of aluminum. As mentioned I’m in Sweden and you don’t see used Weber gas grills that often really. I think it’s more common with coal grills here too. I have to buy some temperature probes and a cover to the grill too and they are not cheap. I saw now that the cast iron grates are rusted so maybe I’ll have to replace those too. So I’ll try this repair first and if it doesn’t work I’ll have to buy a new box.

Back