Genesis - Harley Davidson edition?

TomRc

TVWBB Pro
I just finished this one up for a Chicago Bears fan so it wasn’t really planned or intended as a Harley theme, but it certainly could pass for one. If anyone cares to go down this road, the color is burnt orange done by IPE. Cook box and end caps are Krylon Industrial Tough Coat High-Heat black. Money is good on these consignment projects in my neck of the woods….$650 to build this one to the customer’s specs as shown.

IMG_0278.jpeg

That's a beauty! I certainly didn't do the expensive hood like yours (stunning!), but I did add a "Harley" touch to a frankengrill Silver A I did for a friend:

Silver A for Bill FINISHED hood open.jpeg

Harley Davidson.jpeg

You are blessed to have built a great customer base. Right now here in central Indiana 🌽 there are sellers with two very nice wood slat redheads for $250 or less with no action for some time. Another seller has an unused Silver C (still has the retail hood stickers) asking $650 and listed for months and months. I don't see much opportunity for me and my old-style Genesis projects other than the hobby enjoyment aspect.

Last edited:
I just finished this one up for a Chicago Bears fan so it wasn’t really planned or intended as a Harley theme, but it certainly could pass for one. If anyone cares to go down this road, the color is burnt orange done by IPE. Cook box and end caps are Krylon Industrial Tough Coat High-Heat black. Money is good on these consignment projects in my neck of the woods….$650 to build this one to the customer’s specs as shown.

View attachment 75531
Nice!

View attachment 75531
Looks like it could fetch $1k. All custom resto. It’s a 1/1.

Looks like it could fetch $1k. All custom resto. It’s a 1/1.
Not at all taking anything away from his beautiful workmanship, but down on the farm here in central Indiana 🌽 that price would be a non-starter, as would his selling price of $650.

Here's an unusually nice (not perfect, obviously) pretty uncommon Genesis 3 redhead for $195. No bites for the seller yet:

Genesis 3 on FBM.jpg

Consignments have unexpectedly become a very common way of doing business for me. The customer picks a grill from my boneyard or brings me in their oldie, we collaborate to match a budget to a wishlist, and I build it out to the agreed spec from there. The customer gets exactly what they want at a pre-arranged price point while getting to see their own vision as a finished product and I honestly think they’re willing to pay more for this privilege. I might not always agree with their vision and will sometimes offer an alternate idea or concept, but everyone always seems happy and very appreciative as they’re handing over the money for a grill that they can claim as having “designed” themselves.

For something special like that, I can see it. I have done a couple pre-arranged rehabs but I always am worried that my end result might not be what they expected. I always tell them that they should just grab one that I have available and if they still want, I can buy their old grill for a small fee. I do work up grills to a customer specs, but I don't make them commit unless it is a very unique design. Like my last blue head. I did one a few weeks ago and after it sold, a lady contacted me about it and wanted it because it matched her blue kettle. So, I told her I would find another blue lid and rehab it. I even offered to put black handles, and knobs on it since her blue Master touch had black handles. Well, time came to make the deal and then money is a problem. We had agreed on the price, but "her bank got hacked". Anyway, all I had to do was put it up for sale on CL and FB MP and it was sold a half hour later. No refunding money or hard feelings or anything like that. That is just my thing.
But if someone wanted a lid re-porcelained or other exotic mods, then, yah, I guess it would require a down payment and other pre arranged specs.
We really don't have that kind of market base around here though. Mostly lunch pail type people around here. I would love to go above and beyond some times. I have two Genesis Platinum SS framed grills that would be perfect high mod, over the top bases for rehabs.

Seems like a lot of those kind of deals pop up in California.
That one is close, and if I had room I think I'd try and get it. It looks like a coat of paint and it would be good to flip.

But the flip market seems to suck right now.

Flip market is going to be slow for the next couple months and then virtually ends in October. At least up here.

I'm not sure I care too much for the orange and I'm a Bears fan. I do like how the finish came out on the end caps though with that krylon paint. Did you strip those to bare metal or leave the old paint on?

I'm not sure I care too much for the orange and I'm a Bears fan. I do like how the finish came out on the end caps though with that krylon paint. Did you strip those to bare metal or leave the old paint on?
Sandblasted to bare metal. I really do like the Krylon paint as well. Since I’m not a fan of a matte finish on the cook box, I choose to use the same paint for the end caps and cook box.

I have had discussions with a quite a few folks about the possibility of color changes. The $$ required to re-enamel ends those discussions lickity-split and I don't even have the cost of shipping that most folks here have. My build to spec typically involves which grates, and aftermarket or original OEM Weber parts only.

There are some people out there with deep pockets and a strong affection for Weber, although it seems the majority of them live in Australia :ROFLMAO:. If you can find a potential buyer like that, then a lot of possibilities open up. My experience in Florida was in the middle, but here in the cornfields 🌽 of central Indiana, it would be a needle in a haystack to find a buyer willing to pay for custom porcelain, let alone even top end stainless grates. Maybe a decked-out John Deere version with a bright green hood and yellow end caps!!!

Back