Genesis Gold B Restoration

John Johnson-2

Hey guys, this is the first grill I have ever restored, and my first Weber! Well, it's not a full restoration, but it is pretty close. Did this over the past weekend while socially distancing myself. Apologies, but I never took a full before pic of the grill - lesson learned.

I didn't have to replace anything besides the warming rack, and still have to find a couple of the swinging ones for the lid. Once this Corona Virus thing is over, i need to fabricate a new heat shield for the hood, but I need my buddy's shop for that.

I told my buddy who gave me the grill that I need to clean up my propane tank now. Might look for one of those tank covers...

Excellent job. I would either leave the existing lid liner as is or I would just rip it out and leave it. Another option is to keep an eye open for another grill to cannibalize the lid from. I never bother to replace those warming racks. They just get in the way most of the time. But, some people really like them.
But, you got yourself an awful nice grill there now with out a lot of investment. I commend you for that.

That hood liner isn't the prettiest thing in the world but still serviceable.
I would not replace it myself at this point. However, your mention of
a buddy and a shop indicates you may have a low cost way of doing so
that might sway my decision.

Yeah, I can pretty much get the sheet metal for cost, or if it is scrap he has on hand, I can get it for free. Otherwise, I'll be ripping it out before too long. Opening up and cleaning out all the valves today - forgot about them, and they feel a little dry and sticking. Gonna be like butter!

Also cleaned and lubed up the propane scale. Not much too it, but it slides a little nicer now too.

Has anyone ever had any luck refinishing the top of a stainless cover? I mean like a true refinish, not just a polish? Mine has some scratches I would like to try to remove, but I don't want to do more damage than good, and it is somewhat livable now...

Hey guys - I was wondering if anyone could help me out on what to do here. The back of the SS hood has what I assume is baked on grease or carbon. It feels like stucco, and I tried scraping some off with a nylon wedge, but nothing came off. Any ideas on how to get this stuff off? The first pic is with a flash, and doesn't show quite how dark it is. The second is with no flash and is closer to how it looks.

Back - 001.jpgBack - 002.jpg

I would try some oven cleaner and Green 3m scratchy pads, but make sure you scrub in the direction of the grain in the metal.

Hey guys, this is the first grill I have ever restored, and my first Weber! Well, it's not a full restoration, but it is pretty close. Did this over the past weekend while socially distancing myself. Apologies, but I never took a full before pic of the grill - lesson learned.

I didn't have to replace anything besides the warming rack, and still have to find a couple of the swinging ones for the lid. Once this Corona Virus thing is over, i need to fabricate a new heat shield for the hood, but I need my buddy's shop for that.

I told my buddy who gave me the grill that I need to clean up my propane tank now. Might look for one of those tank covers...

How did you rejuvenate the side tables? The plastic looks great in the pictures!

Try vinegar and baking soda. That also removes heat stains on SS. And always in direction of the grain.

How did you rejuvenate the side tables? The plastic looks great in the pictures!

Thank you! I actually sanded them down with 80 grit paper, then 120 grit, then applied a coat of silicone oil (rubbed it in really well), then let sit overnight and wiped one last time with a microfiber cloth. Out of all of the grill, I think those came out the best.

Nice restoration John. As mentioned above you can always change out the lid. This is my Gold B, I made it a redhead.

Grill.jpg

Agreed - I already asked my Father-in_Law who has a readhead in really good condition - to make sure he let's me know when he doesn't want it anymore. Maybe in a few years we will all buy him a new one.

Your grill looks great!!

Hey John! Like your restored Gold very much. You did an awesome job on those tables. The sanding method (followed by some kind of treatment - oil, 303 protectant, etc.) works very well. Yours look like new!

I believe you are going to be very happy with your reborn classic. On the hood liner I have the exact same situation with my very similar Genesis Platinum. I decided to keep my liner, but now - having served as a daily driver - it is deteriorated so much that some of the metal is breaking off. I plan to do what has been recommended here and just cut it out. Stainless hood may discolor a little, but better that than metal flakes in my food😝. Unfortunately there is no ready replacement for the liner, and if you order a hood from Weber you will only be able to get a black one. You might decide that the switch-out idea is good for you. Keep your eyes out for a donor in the color you want.

I didn't have to replace anything besides the warming rack, and still have to find a couple of the swinging ones for the lid. ...

Great job restoring that Gold B! I'm in the minority, but I love the warming racks. I used the swinging rack this week on my 1000 to cook baked potatoes. I put them in when I turned on the grill. By the time the grill warmed up and I cooked the salmon and asparagus, they were done.

Hey John! Like your restored Gold very much. You did an awesome job on those tables. The sanding method (followed by some kind of treatment - oil, 303 protectant, etc.) works very well. Yours look like new!

I believe you are going to be very happy with your reborn classic. On the hood liner I have the exact same situation with my very similar Genesis Platinum. I decided to keep my liner, but now - having served as a daily driver - it is deteriorated so much that some of the metal is breaking off. I plan to do what has been recommended here and just cut it out. Stainless hood may discolor a little, but better that than metal flakes in my food😝. Unfortunately there is no ready replacement for the liner, and if you order a hood from Weber you will only be able to get a black one. You might decide that the switch-out idea is good for you. Keep your eyes out for a donor in the color you want.

Yah, that hanging warming rack is handy and out of the way when the grill is open, so if I had one, that would be it.

Back