GENESIS 5000 TIMBER - GREY PAINT OR STAIN?

Mark AU

TVWBB Fan
Hey Guys,

I've done a search but can't find a direct answer and hoping one of the brain trust might be able to help.

I'm currently in the middle of a Gen 5000 resto and trying to work out if the grey on the timber is painted or stained? From what I can tell it looks like paint but not sure of the colour.

Also it is actual timber and not durawood.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Mark

Also, here's a couple of links by @Brian B Atlanta ... I really like his pewter color choice.

Those wooden slats were definitely stained and not painted. Paint chips and flakes off, stain does not. Originally they were either stained gray or picnic table red.

Also, here's a couple of links by @Brian B Atlanta ... I really like his pewter color choice.

Hey Mate, thanks for these. That Pewter looks really good, might look into that 👌

Those wooden slats were definitely stained and not painted. Paint chips and flakes off, stain does not. Originally they were either stained gray or picnic table red.
Hey Mate, thanks for that, very good point 👍

That original slats I have looks to be painted, which could of been done by someone over the years

Mark, here is a picture of a Redhead I did. I had to replace the wood used cedar strips from HD the original wood was to far gone. I used the Behr deck stain on these also but this was a redwood natural stain and it was a semi. I really admire others who take the time to use the clear spar but I was just to lazy to spend that kind of effort.

It was my friend who picked the Pewter which I think really looks nice against the black lid. All the wood on that grill was original he had to use some wood filler so he had to use a solid stain. The Behr stuff is a waterborne product so really easy to use.

W6N9gnv.jpg

Mark, here is a picture of a Redhead I did. I had to replace the wood used cedar strips from HD the original wood was to far gone. I used the Behr deck stain on these also but this was a redwood natural stain and it was a semi. I really admire others who take the time to use the clear spar but I was just to lazy to spend that kind of effort.

It was my friend who picked the Pewter which I think really looks nice against the black lid. All the wood on that grill was original he had to use some wood filler so he had to use a solid stain. The Behr stuff is a waterborne product so really easy to use.

W6N9gnv.jpg
Hey Brian, thanks for that, great looking resto mate!!

I had a look at the post with the black Genesis and the pewter and it looks magnificent!! The 5000 that I'm restoring has the grey lid with red pin stripes, so I'm thinking the pewter will look awesome against the grey.

So the pewter was a sold stain, is pewter the colour of the stain?

Mark, did you make new wood for any of your previous restorations or strictly refinish work?
Hey Steve, I've done both but usually go new wood. When I'm using a redwood stain I use a process first to age the wood, otherwise the stain looks odd and too bright.

The ageing process comes out great, literally changes the entire look. I use rusted water (50/50 water and white vinegar) and I soak all the old rusted screws in the solution for a few days

Hey Steve, I've done both but usually go new wood. When I'm using a redwood stain I use a process first to age the wood, otherwise the stain looks odd and too bright.

The ageing process comes out great, literally changes the entire look. I use rusted water (50/50 water and white vinegar) and I soak all the old rusted screws in the solution for a few days
This was all new mahogany, including the handle. I used an oil based stain and spar urethane.20210825_213534.jpg

Steve, I would swear you found a great way to color the Durawood slats. That looks really awesome and the grain in the wood reminds me of Durawood.

Hey Brian, thanks for that, great looking resto mate!!

I had a look at the post with the black Genesis and the pewter and it looks magnificent!! The 5000 that I'm restoring has the grey lid with red pin stripes, so I'm thinking the pewter will look awesome against the grey.

So the pewter was a sold stain, is pewter the colour of the stain?
Do they have Home Depot down there? The 8 ounce should do the job for 2 coats if not 2 cans, my friend was charged with picking out the stain and doing the wood pretty sure he only bought an 8 ounce can goes a long way. I think the pewter with the grey lid would be a good combo, yes its a solid stain. At least here pretty inexpensive.

Do they have Home Depot down there? The 8 ounce should do the job for 2 coats if not 2 cans, my friend was charged with picking out the stain and doing the wood pretty sure he only bought an 8 ounce can goes a long way. I think the pewter with the grey lid would be a good combo, yes its a solid stain. At least here pretty inexpensive.

That looks like a good choice if Mark can get it there!

Back