Genesis 310 Sidewinder

JERoss

After doing some extensive online research, discovering this forum, and patiently waiting for a good deal on craigslist, I finally found and purchased my first grill. I wanted a quality, American-made product, but didn’t want to break the bank given the current economic climate. I ended up with a Genesis 310 Special Edition “Sidewinder”. I’ve attached some photos of her. Apart from some minor dings/scratches and small areas of rusting, I think she is in decent shape. The burners and ignition were recently replaced by the previous owner. Stainless grates and flavorizers are the originals. I think that it needs a bit of attention in a few areas to be looking great. Not looking to flip, just want a nice looking, quality grill to enjoy for now. Perhaps will upgrade to something newer and more feature-rich in the future.

I searched through the forum to find answers to some of my restoration questions and found plenty of answers. Thank you for all of these excellent resources! I did have a few questions that I was unable to answer. I will say that I am a grill novice and not the most handy guy around, so I appreciate any advice even if it is seemingly obvious stuff.

• Flavorizer Bars: They definitely feel a bit thin and have areas with chipping. I have attached some pictures. Does anyone think I should replace these? Will I see a significant difference in performance? I understand that RCPlanebuyer products are recommended by most on the forum. They are definitely a bit pricey compared to some other stainless aftermarket alternatives. Other than longevity, will there be an appreciable difference in performance between different brands of flavorizer bars?
  • Knobs Sticking: I noticed that 2/3 of the knobs are sticking in the depressed position even when fully turned off. I have to pull up each knob slightly for them to return to “starting position.” Is there something the needs to be lubricated in the knob mechanism to fix this? If so, which lubricant is advised?
  • Firebox Discoloration: The left and right sides of the firebox appears “burnt” for lack of better term. I have attached a picture. Is this something that can be cleaned or is it a rusting problem with the firebox itself?
  • Touch Up Painting: What is the recommended paint brand and color for small touch ups where the factory gray paint has flaked off/rusted inside the Cabinet?
  • Cabinet Doors Uneven: The Right Cabinet door is sitting slightly lower than the Left. Any suggestions on how to adjust this?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• Grill.jpg
    Grill.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Flavorizer 2.jpg
    Flavorizer 2.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Flavorizer 4.jpg
    Flavorizer 4.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Flavorizer 5.jpeg
    Flavorizer 5.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Firebox.jpg
    Firebox.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Cabinet Rust.jpg
    Cabinet Rust.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 25
  • Flavorizer Bars: They definitely feel a bit thin and have areas with chipping. I have attached some pictures. Does anyone think I should replace these? Will I see a significant difference in performance? I understand that RCPlanebuyer products are recommended by most on the forum. They are definitely a bit pricey compared to some other stainless aftermarket alternatives. Other than longevity, will there be an appreciable difference in performance between different brands of flavorizer bars?
RCP grates and flavorizer bars are top line, but you will pay for them. There are some very good alternatives on Amazon and few other sites for very good quality grates and flavorizer bars at significant savings. It is a matter of preference
  • Knobs Sticking: I noticed that 2/3 of the knobs are sticking in the depressed position even when fully turned off. I have to pull up each knob slightly for them to return to “starting position.” Is there something the needs to be lubricated in the knob mechanism to fix this? If so, which lubricant is advised?
There is a great "HOW TO" on lubing the valves: https://tvwbb.com/threads/how-to-cleaning-lubricating-weber-gas-grill-valves.78929/
  • Firebox Discoloration: The left and right sides of the firebox appears “burnt” for lack of better term. I have attached a picture. Is this something that can be cleaned or is it a rusting problem with the firebox itself?
The cookbox is aluminum. It won't be rust, but is likely burned on grease or possibly the PO touched something plastic up to the cook box when it was hot. No big deal either way.
  • Touch Up Painting: What is the recommended paint brand and color for small touch ups where the factory gray paint has flaked off/rusted inside the Cabinet?
There are no known perfect matches for the gray on the cabinets. After cleaning up the rust, I used Rustoleum 2X paint. If you do the whole inside, it isn't even noticeable. If you just want to "touch up" there are closer matches, but none that will blend perfectly.
  • Cabinet Doors Uneven: The Right Cabinet door is sitting slightly lower than the Left. Any suggestions on how to adjust this?
I believe that if you take a door out, there is a nut on the bottom that can allow you adjust the bottom pivot pin to make the door straight when close.

Bruce already nailed it all! All on target advice for you to follow.

I would just say that if you can get these fixable problems resolved you will have a REALLY NICE grill. It is, to some extent, the last "true" Weber Genesis in that it has the classic burner layout and crossover lighting burner that Weber used for decades. The "East West" or "Sidewinder" configuration, I think, is better overall and definitely MUCH better if you have any thoughts of doing rotisserie cooking. At the same time, this model brings a slightly larger size and a more contemporary look than the "classic" Genesis grills many of us here view a little like '57 Chevys or whatever your favorite classic car is.

There are some really sharp new Webers, but personally I would rather have that sidewinder all fixed up over one of those. All newer 300 series Genesis grills (the next generation after yours) and all even newer Genesis II grills have the front-to-back burners. While I do kind of like the ones with the extra "sear" burner, the sidewinder would still be my preference.

Fix 'er up really nice and ENJOY!!!

J: There is a great how to video on the forum to clean and lube the valves that will solve your sticking issue. Remember, these were made 2007 thru 2010 so the lube is probably a little dried out inside the valves. The door adjustment issue can usually be resolved by loosening up the lower bolts on the frame and the back panel on a level surface an then re-tighten. The rust issue needs aggressive treatment especially on the frame where the casters insert into the frame. Bottom pan can be replaced, the frame, not so much. If the flavor bars are intact other than the manufacturing holes, don't replace them yet. Most of the "burnt" on the firebox is just built up crud and can be cleaned so you can built up your own "seasoning". A great grill and the last of the E-W burner layout. Be patient a do a little at a time while you use the grill, but work on that frame rust asap.

Thanks for the info guys!

Regarding the flavorizer bars, assuming the burners are relatively new and working well, would replacing the original bars (which have some chipping on the edges) noticeably improve performance (i.e. higher overall temp or faster to come up to temp)?

Regarding the discoloration on the left and right outside surfaces of the firebox, what cleaning method would be recommended? I found some threads recommending wire brush + degreaser --> repaint. Looking to avoid having to repaint if at all possible. Thoughts?

Regarding rusting in the base, would like to confirm that addressing this involves wire brush --> rust inhibitor --> sanding --> painting

If the flavorizer bars are basically intact, then replacing them wouldn't likely help improve performance.

Regarding the firebox, I would try a wire brush, not too agressive, but if you want it looking good, it is probably going to require a repaint.

For the base, I assume you are referring to the frame. Yep, remove the rust with a wire brush or otherwise and paint. If you remove all the rust, then a rust inhibitor isn't necessary, but could be used. If you just knock down the rust and don't remove it all, then a rust inhibitor or "encapsulator" is necessary.

Back