Genesis 2000 Restoration/Conversion to NG

BradRussell

I've previously restored a '90's Genesis and have used it as my everyday work horse for the last year and LOVE it! Recently built a house and had a gas line
put in to the grilling patio. I just picked up this Genesis on FB with the hopes of doing another restoration inside and out and converting it to a
NG grill. The woodwork, painting, and new bars and grates I can handle, the LP to NG is slightly out of my comfort zone. From my many hours
of research it looks like I need the numbers which I was lucky to find on this one and change out the manifold. From what I've found it looks like it's
'93 or 94 Genesis II. Some mentoring would be very much appreciated on if this is a good/safe idea and if it's as easy as switching out the manifold
and most importantly.....is if it's a go, where do I find one? TIA!!

16388932301108571048561881681031.jpg20211206_144351.jpg20211206_144400.jpges

Welcome Brad.

Replacing the manifold is the best way to go. Genesis three burner / 13 bar grills up to 1999 will work. Just make sure it is a 13 bar cook box.

I learned from @Bruce this summer that manifolds and valves from the 2000+ Silver, Gold B/C grills are different so while they look close, they don't work.

Keep your eye out for a donor grill, or one to just swap parts and flip. Also, post a "wanted" thread in the for-sale/wanted section and you might find someone has one.

Good luck.

Welcome Brad.

Replacing the manifold is the best way to go. Genesis three burner / 13 bar grills up to 1999 will work. Just make sure it is a 13 bar cook box.

I learned from @Bruce this summer that manifolds and valves from the 2000+ Silver, Gold B/C grills are different so while they look close, they don't work.

Keep your eye out for a donor grill, or one to just swap parts and flip. Also, post a "wanted" thread in the for-sale/wanted section and you might find someone has one.

Good luck
Thank you DanHoo, and yes forgot to add that it's a 13 bar cook box.

Welcome to the forum Brad.
Dan has given you the right guidance. Simply find a donor NG grill or acquire one elsewhere and simply swap the manifold and supply lines. No worries on contingencies or "gotchas" that way.
NG models are much less common, but when they pop up on CL and FB MP, they usually don't sell very well. So, keep your eyes open and you should find a decent priced donor grill (maybe free) soon enough.

Just FYI: I beleive the grill pictured above is a 1993 model Genesis 2000.

Awesome! Thank you, I think confidence was what I was lacking most. Now I don't feel like I'm going to blow up my
house on a random grilling night. Thanks guys, this group is awesome and perfect for my new favorite hobby.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Another encouragement to just find a NG manifold and swap them. I obtained my NG manifold as a swap from this very forum. You just missed a guy who converted his NG to propane lol.

If you ever get the desire to rotisserie, I'll just recommend installing an outdoor receptacle a few feet to the left of the NG line to plug in. I digress.

Yep definitely easier and safer (especially if you don't have experience) to swap manifolds. You will see EBay sellers and the like and YouTubers touting swapping orifices and SOMETIMES not all the time it can work. The actual procedure to convert the manifold is not truly hard or even all that complicated but it is "critical". So yeah best to simply swap manifolds

Welcome to the forum Brad.
Dan has given you the right guidance. Simply find a donor NG grill or acquire one elsewhere and simply swap the manifold and supply lines. No worries on contingencies or "gotchas" that way.
NG models are much less common, but when they pop up on CL and FB MP, they usually don't sell very well. So, keep your eyes open and you should find a decent priced donor grill (maybe free) soon enough.

Just FYI: I beleive the grill pictured above is a 1993 model Genesis 2000
Welcome Brad.

Good luck.
Just to clarify so I'm on the right track, I'm looking for a Genesis from the '90's with a 13 bar cook box? Does it have to be a Genesis II and with a certain number stamped on it? I'm assuming I should measure or take along my current LP manifold when picking up to compare. Sometime the sellers on CL and FB don't want to do any extra work so I'm trying to simplify it and not waste anyones time. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

@BradRussell , I suggest not using the roman numeral II" for your grill, as this might be confused with the current models being sold today.

The early models were Genesis 1, Genesis 2, Genesis 3, and later named Genesis 1000, Genesis 2000, Genesis 3000 etc.

You want a manifold from any of the 1985 vintage up through 1999.

In this thread I posted a pic of an NG manifold from a 1998 Genesis 2000 that I sold to Rick.

I suggest creating a thread, in the buy-sell-trade forum and title it "Want to Buy NG manifold for Genesis x000" and post a pic of your grill and see if anyone has one.

@BradRussell , I suggest not using the roman numeral II" for your grill, as this might be confused with the current models being sold today.

The early models were Genesis 1, Genesis 2, Genesis 3, and later named Genesis 1000, Genesis 2000, Genesis 3000 etc.

In this thread I posted a pic of an NG manifold from a 1998 Genesis 2000 that I sold to Rick.

I suggest creating a thread, in the buy-sell-trade forum and title it "Want to Buy NG manifold for Genesis x000" and post a pic of your grill and see if anyone has one.
Makes sense, again thank you. It's amazing that the more you learn about these grills the more you learn you don't know.

Thanks again DanHoo for the NG manifold. I am almost done with restoring it back to showroom quality.

That didn't take long to find one.

My .02 is bring your manifold with you and measure the distance between the valve posts and the height of the stems of the valves. They should be identical.

Back