Genesis 1200 Skyline restoration

RichardTroy

I found a really rough Skyline on FB Marketplace a couple of months ago. I took a chance since everything seemed to be there. Including the condiment basket 😉 a lot of scraping and using the sander, and a wire cup brush, some high heat black rustolem and tons of simple green. She is back together and looking good. New ignition, great stainless flavorizor bars and really heavy duty solid stainless grill surfaces. I know there is another level I could go and replace the Grey table slats with real wood and replace the wire shelf on the bottom with wood. But for now she is all original except for the new cooking parts. What do you guys think? Should I keep going and turn this into museum peice? Or just enjoy the originality of the Skyline and call it a day? I now have 6 grills from this Era and think I have a problem. My red head Genesis 3000 is my everyday driver and i will never get rid of my first restoration but the rest I could flip if I could get myself to put them up for sale. Help.20230321_192737.jpg20230321_192725.jpg20230321_192553.jpg20230321_192558.jpg20230321_192755.jpg

Ohh and you might notice I am missing the push button over the ignitor. I have a buddy from work that is going to 3D print the housing and the button. I loaned him an original one so he can scan it and recreate it. When I get it back from him I will add some pictures of the final product.

Wow looks beautiful. Nice job it would be hard to get rid of something like that
Thanks Randy. It's a nice one and I really like the Skyline lid. I will try and find the pics of the grill when I got it. It was a mess and I don't think it was ever cleaned besides emptying the drip tray. 🤧

Tough call. I like original very much. That says put the wire rack in the bottom and have yourself a special piece of history.

On the other hand, here I am talking, and both Skylines I have done so far have been custom:

IMG_0382.jpg
Skyline 2 burner JON.jpeg

So, I think you should do whatever you think you would like. It sure looks REALLY NICE already.
Oh, and I do like redheads a lot, but given the choice I will take a brunette - especially a Skyline one :coolkettle: !

Here is a pic off the listing.
Tough call. I like original very much. That says put the wire rack in the bottom and have yourself a special piece of history.

On the other hand, here I am talking, and both Skylines I have done so far have been custom:

View attachment 67928
View attachment 67929

So, I think you should do whatever you think you would like. It sure looks REALLY NICE already.
Oh, and I do like redheads a lot, but given the choice I will take a brunette - especially a Skyline one :coolkettle: !
I do have the wire rack on the bottom I for got to put it in before pictures. It was drying in the last of the sun after it got cleaned 😊

View attachment 67928
View attachment 67929

I notice your lid handle is different in the first pic of the 3000. Is that from another series or am i missing something?

Agreed. My wood on the 3000 needs new stain and some good scrubbing evey 6 months even though it spends most of its time under the cover. I used cherry stain and it looks great right after I do it

Yes, I loved my red oak and coated it well with spar urethane, but it was much more work than durawood. I sadly sold that grill when I moved from Florida, but at least to a friend.

I think you should do what you want, but simplicity of maintenance and originality, as mentioned above, are factors to consider.

I picked up a skyline myself last fall that I haven't done too much to yet. I was kicking around the idea of replacing the durawood with real wood too, I've done it before. I came to the decision to leave it original. Even if I did replace the wood I would leave the wire rack on the bottom. I admit that part of my decision is based on the fact that my skyline lid has quite a bit of fade on top which lowers my desire to go too crazy on it. I do have a nearly pristine black lid to use on another custom wood grill in the future. Whatever you decide to do, you're not wrong.

Ohh and you might notice I am missing the push button over the ignitor. I have a buddy from work that is going to 3D print the housing and the button. I loaned him an original one so he can scan it and recreate it. When I get it back from him I will add some pictures of the final product.
I would be interested in seeing the 3D printed igniter button when you get it back. Oh, and if you want to replace the tank level sticker you can get replacements from @JonTofte.20220823_203342.jpg

I picked up a skyline myself last fall that I haven't done too much to yet. I was kicking around the idea of replacing the durawood with real wood too, I've done it before. I came to the decision to leave it original. Even if I did replace the wood I would leave the wire rack on the bottom. I admit that part of my decision is based on the fact that my skyline lid has quite a bit of fade on top which lowers my desire to go too crazy on it. I do have a nearly pristine black lid to use on another custom wood grill in the future. Whatever you decide to do, you're not wrong.
Please let my wife in on that sentiment 😁

Back