Genesis 1100 rehab

Rick W

TVWBB Super Fan
This was a quick one that I need to do for my step son. He wanted a small gas grill, preferably NG and black. I picked this up at a junk dealer for $20. It seemed solid as far as the frame. No serious rust. Had an LP manifold and was missing some of the shelves. But I had a vision and some spare parts that one accumulates from buying grill after grill.
I broke it down and went to work.IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

First thing I did was put the entire frame into my electrolysis bath to treat the inside rust. After a day, I wire brushed out the inside frame pieces and treated all of the frame not next to the cook box with Eastwood Internal Chassis Frame Black Coating. The frame around the cook box got a coating of Rustoleum high heat black. Next, sanded, cleaned and paint the outside frame pieces with Rustoleum ultra.
I had my friend blast the cook box and lid sides. Painted the cook box with Rustoleum semigloss black and the lid sides with Ultra.
Did a complete rehab on the wheels, painted them and got a new 316 SS axle and put in some oil embedded bushings into the wheels for a smoother ride.
Cleaned up the lid and repainted the emblem.

More to come...
IMG_1265.JPG

Wow! I'd say that is looking to be more than just a "quick one." Top drawer stuff you are doing and beautiful results (y) so far. If you have more pictures of the process - like the electrolysis bath - please do post. This will make a good addition to our restoration thread "stickies" for others to reference.

That is going to look awesome! Can someone tell me what that is on the left front frame, the flat piece that comes down.

Wow! I'd say that is looking to be more than just a "quick one." Top drawer stuff you are doing and beautiful results (y) so far. If you have more pictures of the process - like the electrolysis bath - please do post. This will make a good addition to our restoration thread "stickies" for others to reference.
Jon,
I have posted before about electrolysis, here are some pics of my setup, although these were not from this grill. These pics are from a previous rehab where I had the frame sandblasted, but the process looks the same. I am still looking for a vessel big enough that I can lay the frame pieces flat so that I don't have to flip them in a two stage process.IMG_1198.JPGIMG_1199.JPGIMG_1200.JPG

Yah, I have to give that a try some time. But, what did you do to prevent new rust on the insides after you got them all cleaned up?

I think you are seeing the plastic insert where the flip up table hinge rod fits in to.
Rick is correct. That is the frame end cap that has that drop down. The drop down has a round holed in it that the pivot rod for the shelf fits into.

pivot.JPG

Yah, I have to give that a try some time. But, what did you do to prevent new rust on the insides after you got them all cleaned up?
Bruce,
After the electrolysis is done, (which is the nice thing about it because you can't over do it), I wire brushed out the INSIDE of the frame pieces and treat the inside of all of the frame not next to the cook box with Eastwood Internal Chassis Frame Black Coating. The inside of the frame around the cook box gets a coating of Rustoleum high heat black.

Eastwood Internal Chassis Frame Black Coating 14 oz with Spray Nozzle Remove Rust Corrosion
by The Eastwood Company
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MROX1J4/?tag=tvwb-20

Rick, Sorry I forgot about your prior post on this, but I am glad you added it here. If you will continue to update with photos as you finish, this will be a great post to save in our rehab sticky section.

Jon,
I have posted before about electrolysis, here are some pics of my setup, although these were not from this grill. These pics are from a previous rehab where I had the frame sandblasted, but the process looks the same. I am still looking for a vessel big enough that I can lay the frame pieces flat so that I don't have to flip them in a two stage process.View attachment 16123View attachment 16124View attachment 16125
Baby pool?

Back