Genesis 1000 Restore | Green 1998

Rick_Neilly

I just recently completed my first restoration of a Weber, specifically this 1998 Genesis 1000. It was something that I never realized that I wanted to do until I saw this thing sitting on craigslist. It was a really fun project to do, something to tinker with for a while, especially during this year of 2020. I already have a Weber performer and Smokey Mountain, but wanted something that I could just start up on a whim. So I picked this guy up for 65 dollars.

What I did to it:
  • Cleaned the hood with simple green/razor (thank you @Bruce for the tips on this and just answering my noob questions in general!)
  • Cleaned wheels, sanded axle (the broken plastic weber decals had to go)
  • Lightly sanded the durawood slats/hood bar to clean them
  • Wheel brushed the lid end caps
  • Cleaned the gas valves using @Chris Allingham 's video - Thank you!
  • Cleaned and painted fire box, frame, lid end caps, and many miscellaneous items like the drip pan, pan holder, catch pan, etc. using brake cleaner and high heat Rustoleum
  • Replaced the burners, ignitor, flavorizer bars, grill grates. Took everyone's advice and bought from RCPlanebuyer - What an excellent referral! His replacements are incredible!
  • Bunch of other misc things that I'm probably forgetting

Biggest issues I ran into that I had to outsource work on:
  • Needed someone to weld parts of the frame where bolts attach - Not something I could do
  • I had someone sandblast the firebox since I don't currently have an angle grinder (going to look into getting one)

I now want to find and restore a redhead :). I think I'll record most of my restore next time with a GoPro, edit it and upload it as a resource. This is a really incredible community for all kinds of Weber questions. So I wanted to thank all of you for being welcoming and creating such a great resource together.

Here are some pictures of the restore:

Before:

IMG_20201003_112232_533.jpgIMG_20201003_112232_534.jpgIMG_20201003_112232_535.jpg
After:
IMG_20201003_110004.jpgIMG_20201003_110010.jpgIMG_20201003_112232_551.jpgIMG_20201003_112232_562.jpgIMG_20201003_112232_565.jpg

Very nice restore. I still have my 1998 green genesis 1000LX that I bought new in 1998. It's now a 2000 with an additional right side flip up. Great grill although in semi retirement as our E320 NG does most of the gas grilling chores now.
Thank you! And she's a beaut! I'd love to add the additional flip up like you did there. Love it.

Very nice job!

Thanks @LMichaels! Many of your posts helped me figure out where to go next during the project.

That is a great restore, but it ain't done until you throw a 1.5" inch ribeye on it.
Thanks! And you right, you right! But I think I'm gonna be a complete psychopath and wait to first cook on it until next year, since I'm putting it away in a couple weeks.

Will echo what everyone has said. Nice Job!! Hopefully I can be inspired to do something. I have yet to fix up a grill other than simple stuff like cleaning the flavorizer bars and acquiring more hardware.

Bill, in all reality, that all you many times need to do to get the grill back into good working order.

Great restoration!
I acquired a Green Weber of unknown model with the home we purchased in Sandia New Mexico, following the destruction of our home I built 40 years ago, destruction was caused by a massive forest fire that struck Grand Lake, CO last October.
Moving forward, it’s a must for us to have a grill again, our new home has this Green Weber that looks exactly like the one you restored. Your information is valuable to me obtaining the parts I’ll need. Our grill is mounted to a stationary cabinet so has no wheels, is burning Natural Gas plumbed in.
I would really appreciate i5 if you could make a few measurements to help me verify what model I have.
My grill is 3 burners with controls on R side on a panel giving lighting instruction etc. I found what I believe to be the serial number ER 385397. My lid is green like yours, temp gauge mounted on RF of lid, Identification as Platnium series.
Steel Frame 1 3/8” square steel frame. Cast fire box 24 1/2” Wide x 18 1/8 front to rear.
If you can just confirm these measurements it’ll give me a model number for purchasing parts.
Lastly, your posting mentioned RCPlanebuilder as a parts source, what is his email address?
Thank You Millions for your help!
Allan Grote

Here is your owners manual attached below.

Also, contact RCPlanebuyer through one of these Craiglist adds. Tell him what you want and he will provide you with a quote and answer any questions.

Attachments

• 1998 Platinum I.pdf
    595.4 KB · Views: 6

Back