Genesis 1000 Gray Lid Grill

Josh Dekubber

TVWBB Guru
Another vision has come to reality. I've been lucky to find what I'm looking for so far. I was just talking to @Bruce about wanting his Gray Lid about week ago and then this one came up. Now I have to rebuild one of my 1000s for this lid. Loving it. It's definitely one of my favorite lids. I know it's not a popular color but I love it.

In case you didn't know I borrowed this grill from my Green lid 1000LX just temporarily to show this new lid.

Screenshot_20240920_202836_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20240920_202702_Photos.jpg20240920_190909~2.jpgScreenshot_20240920_203607_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20240920_202714_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I would have gone to the trouble of switching the end caps and logo to show off that lid, but it does look great. Staging parts on grills that are already done is kind of cheating in my book. Just clean up the lid and show it on its own until you have a complete grill to put it on. Every project needs to stand on its own.

That gray really pops against the black and wood! Glad it came out so well - it sure justifies the trip. For myself, I'm building a set of different lids from decrepit grills so I can swap them as I like. It's amazing that the frame can be rotted and the firebox warped, while that porcelain just waits to be cleaned up as good as new.

Early on in my Weber journey I had a chance to pick this color up about two hours away and passed. I still regret it.

I don't think I would have gone to the trouble of switching the end caps and logo to show off that lid, but it does look great. Staging parts on grills that are already done is kind of cheating in my book. Just clean up the lid and show it on its own until you have a complete grill to put it on. Every project needs to stand on its own.
The logo/emblem belongs to this lid which I just refinished and this lid handle has never been used before but yes the end caps used were already cleaned up. This wood may or may not end up with this lid. @Bruce wanted to see this lid all cleaned up so I thought I would show it on a nice finished Grill. The pictures help me envision what direction I want to go but I definitely don't have to share them if it's disturbing or considered cheating to others. I'm going to mock up my Skyline lid tonight in different variations with Durawood and real wood. I'll make sure not to share my pictures here. I'll just use them for my own personal reference. I'm not sure what I'm cheating at but I can definitely stop sharing my pics here or delete what's already been shared if other people feel the same way.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any rules whatsoever Josh when it comes to restoring/saving these grills. I personally like to see the mockups with all the variations. They've inspired me to venture outside the basic restores and try different models/matchups. This is for fun after all!

By all means Josh share your mockups. They are a great source for ideas for us that currently do not have these lids. I agree with Ed it is for the fun of it. And I myself appreciate your efforts. Please do not stop. You have been a great source for ideas and tips for me and I feel that others feel the same way. Although we are intitled to our opinions. You should not be dismayed for if we all were in the habit of trying to please everyone all of the time, how would we go about living and functioning in our lives?

Gorgeous. It shows inspiration as well. And I LOVE those silicone mats. You have given me an idea for Big Z's hopper lid which doubles as a side shelf and perhaps trimmed to fit into the large front shelf as well. I think they'd look righteous.
IDK did you share a link to those mats? Are they "trimmable"?

Gorgeous. It shows inspiration as well. And I LOVE those silicone mats. You have given me an idea for Big Z's hopper lid which doubles as a side shelf and perhaps trimmed to fit into the large front shelf as well. I think they'd look righteous.
IDK did you share a link to those mats? Are they "trimmable"?
Maybe I can find the size that you need. What is shelf size.

Also here is the link

Limited-time deal: Walfos Dish Drying Mat for Kitchen Counter, Heat Resistant Silicone Dish Mats, Multi-Purpose Kitchen Drying Mats for Counter Top, Sink, 16x12 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BY4RCM8T?tag=tvwb-20

Nice. Sadly they only offer a couple of sizes. They don't appear to be "cut to fit" type by design either. But, I'm going to measure the lid and see what fits

The logo/emblem belongs to this lid which I just refinished and this lid handle has never been used before but yes the end caps used were already cleaned up. This wood may or may not end up with this lid. @Bruce wanted to see this lid all cleaned up so I thought I would show it on a nice finished Grill. The pictures help me envision what direction I want to go but I definitely don't have to share them if it's disturbing or considered cheating to others. I'm going to mock up my Skyline lid tonight in different variations with Durawood and real wood. I'll make sure not to share my pictures here. I'll just use them for my own personal reference. I'm not sure what I'm cheating at but I can definitely stop sharing my pics here or delete what's already been shared if other people feel the same way.
Sorry Josh, nobody including myself wants you to stop posting pictures of your work. I was kidding about the cheating comment. I guess what I should have said is that it makes me nervous when I get a grill perfect like yours is and then change things on it. I'm always afraid I'm going to scratch, bend, or dent something.

Back