Genesis 1000 Flavorizer bars

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
It looks like the 16 gauge stainless steel flavorizer bar market is drying up quickly.
I can't seem to find a decent set of bars for a genesis grill for under $50 any more. Does anyone know of a source for the 16 gauge, SS bars for less than $50 shipped?

Not sure if is related but all my orders directly from China have been canceled. Most were steel products and were placed in February/March and now expected shipping date is August.

I have made several orders from Amazon for aftermarket (Chinesium) grill products and while shipping might have been a bit slower, they have come through OK. It was always slim pickings for 13 bar flavorizer sets on Amazon, but now you can't really even find a set of 16 gauge for under $50. I was using PETKAO and they were nice ones, but now they no longer offer the 13 bar sets at all. Rivers Edge used to have a set, but I don't see them with the 16 gauge any more either. Just the 20 gauge.

Well, I just sprung for three sets of RCP flavorizer bars. With a small discount for multiple sets and combined shipping, it isn't much more than the Chinesium bars any more. Seems a bit of overkill for flip grills, but unless another aftermarket supplier offers something for a better price, then what the heck.

Bruce for flip grills I would go with 20 gauge. I think I have never used 16 gauge on any grill I flipped. As long as they are shiny they are good and sell well. I even never did a test run with the new flavorizer bars to keep them shiny and not discolored.

Bruce,
I guess I have always felt that for 13-bar setups, Dave/rcplanebuyer was probably the best option. I certainly like to do business with him. For 5 bars, I personally like Qlimetal which I feel offers at least comparable quality - much better quality than many overseas sources. I can't find anything to complain about the sets I have bought from them. I sure wish they would get into the 13-bar market.

I wonder if a possible flip solution would be to offer grills with the 20 gauge bars and then offer "rc" bars as a fairly priced upgrade. A lot of people would probably just take the shiny 20 gauge, but at least you/we could give them an option. Same thing for grates, with possibly good, better and best options (I sound like Harbor Freight :LOL: ). I doubt, though, if you offered Dave's grates as a "best" choice that many people would be willing to pay the premium.

Probably so, but I have seen a lot of those 20 gauge bars in grills I get and most of the time they are wavy and bent. I have used them on flip grills before, but grudgingly. That is about all that is being offered any more though and really, they are not that much cheaper. Also, a lot of the 13 bar sets on amazon have bottom bars that are too tall and the top bars actually sit on top of them and don't sit into their slots correctly. You have to mod the bottom bars to get them to sit lower by cutting almost a 1/4" notch in the bottom corners. If you read the reviews, you can usually tell which ones they are.

Bruce,
I guess I have always felt that for 13-bar setups, Dave/rcplanebuyer was probably the best option. I certainly like to do business with him. For 5 bars, I personally like Qlimetal which I feel offers at least comparable quality - much better quality than many overseas sources. I can't find anything to complain about the sets I have bought from them. I sure wish they would get into the 13-bar market.

I wonder if a possible flip solution would be to offer grills with the 20 gauge bars and then offer "rc" bars as a fairly priced upgrade. A lot of people would probably just take the shiny 20 gauge, but at least you/we could give them an option. Same thing for grates, with possibly good, better and best options (I sound like Harbor Freight :LOL: ). I doubt, though, if you offered Dave's grates as a "best" choice that many people would be willing to pay the premium.
Yah, I actually have a couple serviceable sets of 13 bars. But, I know that shiny bling really makes a difference in the pictures. One thing I find in selling grills is that it is not usually beneficial to offer a lot of choices to buyers. I think they feel like you are trying to up-sell them like they do in used car lots. The seem to feel like I want the RCP bars for the same price as the chineseum bars.

Well, I just sprung for three sets of RCP flavorizer bars. With a small discount for multiple sets and combined shipping, it isn't much more than the Chinesium bars any more. Seems a bit of overkill for flip grills, but unless another aftermarket supplier offers something for a better price, then what the heck.

Bruce,
Reading all this it still seems that Dave is a top choice. How much did each set cost with shipping when you went for 3 sets?

BBQParts.com is also a very fine and reputable company. I felt their US made stainless rods ran a close 2nd to Dave's, and as Greg mentions they are a little lower priced. I haven't seen their 18g flavorizers, but if Dave's are $10-$15 a set more they might be worth a try for flip grill. If the difference is less than that, I would probably stick with Dave's and make sure to point out the quality to potential buyers.

I wish somebody would sell some for about 30 bucks a set even if they're only 430 stainless

You guys need to really get into the used car salesman mindset and just start spray painting the rusty bars in your flip grills! Rustoleum gloss black alllll day!

That settles it for me, Bruce. That's extremely fair for top quality. I am glad that Dave can do a competitive price like that if you give him some volume. I do agree for basic flips it would be nice if there were a cheaper option, but I think 13-bar grills are getting old enough to look at as special not basic. They need to command a premium for the wood (or at least durawood) slats, so a little more for high quality bars is not unreasonable.

For a basic silver 5-bar I would still go with Qlimetal. Not just price but also very high quality.

Back