Genesis 1000...do ya really need 13 bars??

Steve Broadley

weber is a sneaky lot, so many look the same but they're not!!
thought I was buying a silver B which needs only five bars. it didn't have any but did have nice cast iron grates. surprise surprise! but for $25 all else is good and it will last another 15 and outlive me :ROFLMAO:
anybody ever run these with just one level of bars? seems like overkill with 13 imhgo (imhgeezero)
happy father's day grilling to all you dads! ribeye with the daughter today woohoo!

I have no experience with this and would be curious what the responses are. My gut instinct says that if 13 bars were that essential, Weber would have stuck with 13. Besides, if it works for what you need it to do, that's all you really need.

You can certainly grill with just one row, but I agree with DanHoo that two rows evens the heat. Should also reduce flare ups.

I believe the change over time to a single row was mostly a cost savings measure, but my 1st generation Summit - on which Weber splurged expensively in a number of ways - has only one row of bars. I think higher heat and faster warmup may have been part of that equation.

You will also notice Jon, the grates are closer to the bars as well. I think that was done because Weber also designed the Summit to double as a flat top (open grill).

The difference between a 1000 and a Silver B are subtle. The burners on the 1000 are spaced apart slightly more than on a Silver B and the burners are lower from the cooking grates.

As Jon said it was likely cost savings because the silver B cook box has less material and 8 bars were no longer included.

I haven't grilled on the 1000 as much as a Silver B so I can't really comment on the preheat time and all. For me the deeper cook box was a plus for rotisserie cooks.

I have a Genesis 1000 and only use the 5 long flaovizer bars, I have been doing this for years now and had no problems and the grill cooks fine . I was also thinking eventually when the 5 bars need replacing I could attach the other 8 unused shorter flavorizer bars together with bolts to make 4 long bars and use these as substitutes . Hopefully out of the 5 long used flavorizer bars I can save one used one to add the other 4 joined new bars when that time comes.

I had a silver B and a 1000 at the same time and I defiantly got a lot more flare ups on the silver B than the 1000. Especially with burgers and chicken. My E320 only has a single row and doesn't get many flare ups at all.

The 00-04 Genesis Platinums essentially used the same cook box as the 1000s and came with only 5 flavorizer bars.
I have a set of flavorizer bars from one of those grills that I used in my Genesis 1000 for years. The set of five replaces the set of thirteen pretty well because they are much taller. I don't think there is really a price advantage to using the set now, but it's Weber part #9913. I bought my set at Ace hardware on closeout and they were quite a bit less than a stainless 13 bar set so I took a chance and thought they worked just as well.

Steve, I did not know that. Cool. They are very tall flavorizer bars which should help shed the grease.
Exactly. They are much taller than the bottom 5 from a 13 bar set and work very well. Again, it's probably not very cost effective to buy that set instead but if you already had a set or came across a deal on one I say go for it.Screenshot_20230618-194949.png

thanks folks! I did buy a set of 16ga stainless for $35 on u-no-where and they are on the way. last set I bought for my silver was on evilBay and about the same price and lasting much longer than oem. having been a bean counter at a brass mill in the dark ages, I would agree it was about cost to drop the number to 5 bars. I also understand the lesser chance of flare ups with 13. my silver does like to do that with a well marbled ribeye and yardbird with skin. keeps me mindful. next week after I return from emceeing an americana roots music festival in VA, where the bbq is awesome, I will stir the pot with my thoughts on quick flipping any animal you are grilling. happy summer and let the gas flame on!

Back