Gen 2 EX4 new Owner initial thoughts

POnsholm

Greetings,

I have owned probably 25 grills in my life and most of them have been Webers apart from my Blackstone Griddles! However, I never owned any of the pellet grills on the market and was going to initially pick up the Smokefire upon launch. Due to all the negative publicity, I decided to hold of until the second version and a few weeks ago it arrived. My initial thoughts are as follows after 3 weeks of ownership and 8 cooks.

1) It produces great smoky/grilled food
2) It does get dirty around the grill exterior surfaces with pellet dust etc. at higher temperatures.
3) Inside does get dirty as well, not all dust goes down into the bin. I'm pretty much starting every cook clean.
4) Should have more tool hooks! :)
5) Removed the finger guard!
6) Mine is hotter toward the right hand side at higher temps.
7) Does use lots of pellets at higher temps
8) What are the 4 bolt holes right above the bottom casters? Are these for some future bottom basket that can be attached?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I agree with your assessment. I have the EX6 and it gobbles pellets at high temps. The four holes are probably for a future shelf. I don't remember if that came from Weber or the jungle drums. Enjoy!!

Very good assessment from my experiences. Only thing I would notice was sometimes number 6 seems to vary. I think due to a combination of weather factors and positioning of the heat shield and big center flavorizor/tent. If you slide both to the right, it seems you can push the hot spot left occasionally, but it generally favored the right. The SmokeFire gobbles pellets at all temperatures compared to other pellet grills, but that's part of why it has a better smoke profile than many other pellet rigs.

So the "pellet" dust is just what to expect? It flies pretty much everywhere inside & outside... I guess it's wood so more flavor then? ;)

Cheers all!

So the "pellet" dust is just what to expect? It flies pretty much everywhere inside & outside... I guess it's wood so more flavor then? ;)

Cheers all!
As you cook on it and the insides get smoke and grease on them it settles down a lot. That isn't pellet dust, its ash. Every time the fan kicks into high gear it moves a ton of air and it enters the cooking chamber through the burn pot.

All of that is true. I like the hot right side, gives me two zones for high temp grilling. I'm still loving my EX4 and would never want anything else, but a friend of mine just asked if he should get one and I kinda choked. I'm happy to fix stuff and be a tester, most people are not.

All of that is true. I like the hot right side, gives me two zones for high temp grilling. I'm still loving my EX4 and would never want anything else, but a friend of mine just asked if he should get one and I kinda choked. I'm happy to fix stuff and be a tester, most people are not.
I get the friend who asked should I get one and I don't have one but I am kind of the Weber guy in the neighborhood no expert by any means but the education on this forum has allowed me to restore 5 Weber grills. I also got this question months ago on the Smokefire was at a party next door so not a friend just someone I met he loved my redhead silver c and the performer since the neighbor had said you need to see his grills.

He asked me about the Smokefire he saw one in Lowes last year I directed him to this site told him to go thru every thread and make his own decision not sure if he ever bought one or not but I was not going to comment on it one way or the other. In ATL at least in my area with many stores you can't walk into a Lowes and see one anymore they don't stock them but two weeks ago you could not even get one shipped to store had to be shipped to home with $59 for a shipping fee just went on their site a minute ago now you can get it shipped to store no shipping fees.

Back