Gasser / Smoker

Brian B.

TVWBB Fan
Hello all, I wanted to ask a few questions to see if I can pull off some grilling with my smoker and gasser.

I've been reading a lot of Larry's recipes that he makes on his Performer (?) and wanted to see how close I can get by taking the middle part of my smoker out. If I try to do chicken or chicken wings on my smoker turned grill, do I cook them direct over the coals? Do I cook them indirect?

I'm trying to find some ways to cook more stuff over charcoal, rather than always using the gasser for normal cooks.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian,I do most of my gilling on the gasser,but do have a OTS I like to do steaks and chicken on. When grilling over charcoal,either on the WSM turned grill or a one touch grill,it's best to use a three zone fire. A double layer of coals on one side,single layer in the middle,and a coal free zone on the other. This gives you a high heat area,a medium heat area,and a cool zone if it gets too hot. I know there are some others who use charcoal mostly that can give better advice,but this is some very basic advice that can get you started. HTH

Excellent! Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try the "egg" configuration and then go from there.

When you are cooking chicken like this, do you go direct or indirect?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian B.:
When you are cooking chicken like this, do you go direct or indirect? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've got a OTG and a Performer so I have never used the WSM as a grill...

When cooking bone in, skin on chicken on the kettles I usually cook indirect until about 5 degrees from target temp and then crisp the skin direct (reverse sear). When doing boneless, skinless I usually cook direct first until I have the color I want and then go indirect until the target temp is reached (traditional sear).

Back