Gas Grill question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is there a forum similar to this for gas grills? I love my Weber bullet, but sometimes need to use a regualr old grill. I have a Weber Genisis, but don't find it to be powerful enough and I would prefer larger cooking area and integral storage. So, I am considering the Weber Summit or other brands, but can't find any good info. All help appreciated. sbonder@hklaw.com

Scott the only place I know of that has much discussion using a gas grill is on the barbecue newsgroup. alt.food.bbq

Weber's gas grills have a very good reputation. I'm not familiar with your model though. Some other good brands to look at are Vermont Castings, Ducane, MHP, and I know there are a couple of other good brands. Stay away from the cheap stuff.

You can grill on a WSM by adjusting your racks. I have cooked a steak on a Weber charcoal chimney.

You might consider a Weber Kettle or the Weber Ranch Kettle if you need larger space. Both operate on charcoal or lump.

Hi Scott!

Here you go......

BBQ GUYS

This forum isn't really active, but it does have VERY good info. Lots of discussion on the higher end grills and Weber seems to hold it's own. Many comparisons are offered...just reading the threads will give you lots of answers.

Hope it helps!

Scott,

I got the Summit 425 last year and I'm very happy with it, after owning a Genesis 2 for almost 10 years. This season, the Summit Gold is the one to consider if you want a larger cooking surface.

Regards,
Chris

Any thoughts on TEC grills? thanks, this is always such a helpful resource.

A lady in our office got a TEC a couple of months ago and really likes it. This month's Consumer Reports has a review of it and several other gas grills. CR rated the Jenn Air as the best grill, but also recommended the Weber Genesis Silver B for a larger size grill and the Silver A for a smaller grill. CR liked the TEC but said the Silver B did as good a job without the high price.

I've had a Silver B for several years and can vouch for it. I opted for the natural gas version so I don't have to refill any tanks.

Mama Bear got a call from a guy who found our website and his gas grill had broke and he wanted to know if he could smoke in his oven. She told him no and advised him to go buy a Weber Kettle and some charcoal /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
What a great wife,

I experimented with making ribs in both my charcoal grill and oven using chips and a water bath. The oven version came out dry with not a lot of flavor. The only advantage of the oven is that the temperature remained constant.

The results of my experiment is that ribs taste much better slow cooked over charcoal than in an oven.

I'd like to try the same experiment to see if there is a difference between gas and charcoal grills.

Arsenio-
I suspect that your results woud be the same.
You can cook acceptable ribs on a gas grill, but you can't replicate the flavor of low and slow over a bed of coals.
The racks of spares that I cook on my WSM are better than those from any restaurant or commercial joint I've visited.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back