Fun with Infrared (several pics, sorry)

Ok, so I promised to do this a LOOOONNNNG time ago and completely forgot about it. I actually wanted to do the WSM but rain forced me to do the OTG instead. I'll try it again maybe this weekend to get the WSM during a cook.

Did a cook on the 18.5 OTG indirect grilling a steak. As you will see, too much fooling around will mess up the cook, more on that later.

Here's the chimney just getting 'firing' up.
IR_0173_zps59536fe3.jpg

Here it is much further along and looking down into the coals (Royal Oak).
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/rksylves/Infrared Grilling/IR_0174_zps118ce36b.jpg

Tried to get the heat 'plume' coming off the chimney
IR_0180_zps35d2ba2c.jpg

Here's the view from the handle side right before dumping
IR_0181_zps8912e941.jpg

Grill is coming up to temp
IR_0185_zpscea587da.jpg

Steak is ON!!
IR_0186_zpsb6dd7399.jpg

Of course, gotta have that cold adult beverage nearby.
IR_0187_zps06dceaad.jpg

This is the heat coming out of the top vents
IR_0197_zps1c87ac70.jpg

Almost done!
IR_0203_zps57ff19cf.jpg

This is what I meant at the top about messing it up. This is embarassing
P8040322_zps8f677f34.jpg

Enjoy!

Russ

What kind of camera did you use for that?

I looked for the exif data but didn't see anything right away...

Part of my job is to perform thermal analysis on new or re-designed systems for aircraft. We bought a few of these handheld FLIR cameras so we can 'quick-look' an assembly. If we find anything not normal then we bring in the big IR camera and really go in and take a look. Can't take that one home. The downside is that the FLIR only goes up to 260(?) C.

I'm really interested in doing the smoker maybe this weekend. If anyone has a particular shot they want, let me know and I'll try to get it. I'm most interested in getting some hard data on the temperature differential between the bottom shelf, top shelf, and lid thermometer that has been discussed to death.

Russ

Russ;

>>>I'm most interested in getting some hard data on the temperature differential between the bottom shelf, top shelf, and lid thermometer<<<

Now, THAT would be most interesting (although, to be honest, if I used my Maverick I could tell pretty quick what the differential would be). Of course, it would not be as COOL as those thermo shots (but a guy has to work with what he has, huh?).

That HAS got me thinking, tho'. The next long cook with the WSM I may just hook up two simultaneous thermometers on the two different grates and see what they show. It would definitely interest most of us, I would think.

Dale53

Thanks for the pics Russ. I would be interested to see how long it takes for the heat to even out throughout the smoker. Meaning meat and lid on, take a pic, and see how the draft heats up the smoker and then when it balances out. I bet you could also easily show how removing the lid affects temps and how long it takes to recover from "peeking."

Thanks again!

Really cool Russ! Would be cool to se the same without an upper temp limit. Thanks for sharing...

Back