Fresh, unbrined turkey prep questions

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
This year I'm trying a fresh unbrined turkey (10 lbs.). In the past I have only been able to source "enhanced" turkeys. I've always wet brined the enhanced birds with an apple juice solution, typically going lighter on the salt than recommended. The results have been very good.

I'm hoping to kick it up a notch with the fresh bird and have a couple of general brining questions:

Does anyone have a wet brine recipe for a fresh turkey?

Has anyone dry-brined a fresh bird? Any comparison to wet-brining?

Finally, I've always cooked the Thanksgiving turkey on a kettle, in a pan with celery, carrots, onions and broth. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to cooking it directly on a grate (with drip pan below) in a WSM?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jeff

I have used this recipe for years with fresh turkeys. I cooked it in a WSM on the grate with a drip pan on the lower grate. I think it was originally in the Big Gook of Grilling, but it can also be found in Weber’s Greatest Hits:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/gr...brined-hickory-smoked-turkey/weber-29490.html

This year I will be using this recipe fromn Weber’s Charcoal Grilling:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/brined-and-barbecued-turkey/weber-9139.html

However, I will be doing it in the kettle on a rotisserie with a drip pan underneath filled as described in the recipe. At the beginning of this cook, the recipe calls for the turkey to be cooked breast side down in the roasting pan full of goodies. I don’t know if that helps or not on the roasting pan vs. grate question.

I have tried dry brining on other things but never a turkey.

I have always used fresh turkeys since I started brining. I’m afraid of getting it way too salty if I get something that is even minimally processed.

Last edited:
However, I will be doing it in the kettle on a rotisserie with a drip pan underneath filled as described in the recipe. At the beginning of this cook, the recipe calls for the turkey to be cooked breast side down in the roasting pan full of goodies. I don’t know if that helps or not on the roasting pan vs. grate question.
I have always done a turkey in a pan starting breast side down for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. It works -- the breast cooks 10° cooler than the thigh.

Those recipes are interesting. I have much to consider.
Jeff

I have always done a turkey in a pan starting breast side down for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. It works -- the breast cooks 10° cooler than the thigh.

Those recipes are interesting. I have much to consider.
Jeff
I have yet to try a Jamie Purviance recipe that wasn’t spot on. I went down the turkey rabbit hole for a few hours over the weekend trying to decide on a plan.

I think that's the same as his " Apple Brined Turkey with Big Time Gravy" recipe.
I've used that for years and love it!
IIRC you do cook it breast side down for a few hours then flip it.
That's been my go-to as well, T. I make small variations, but stick pretty close to it. It has never produced a poor result. I'm cooking for a party of 12 (don't call the cops on me) and the pilgrims are bringing a ham and lots of sides. Good sense would dictate that I go with the proven method, but I'm a rebel at heart. Getting the most out of a fresh bird is my aim. I still have a week to decide.

Jeff

Back