Freezing parts of a brisket

BobJ

TVWBB Super Fan
Seeing as how there are only 2 of us if I buy a full packer is there any reason I can't seperate the point from the flat, cut the flat into say 3 pieces ,and freeze all but 1 of them for smoking at later dates?

You can do that. I do find that a whole brisket smokes/cooks better than small pieces so I usually smoke the whole thing, rest, serve whatever we’re going to eat right away, then either cut the rest into large pieces to wrap and freeze or slice the flat and freeze in portions, and chunk the point and freeze that. The point I turn into chili at a later date, again serving however much I need and freezing the rest of the chili.

No reason I couldn't do it that way, I've never cooked a brisket so I don't know how leftovers come out.

Quite well, actually. Thaw in fridge. If sliced, heat a little chicken or beef stock in a pan - just enough to coat the bottom - along with a small bit of butter. Lay the slices in, cover, done in a couple minutes (don't let the liquid boil, just a bare simmer). For larger pieces: if you've vacuum-sealed you can drop the bag(s) into a pot of boiling water and simmer for a bit; if not vac-sealed you can simply either place the meat in a small baking pan or roasting dish with or without the liquid/butter addition (I prefer the addition), cover tightly, and stick in a 300-350˚ oven, or just wrap in foil and place in the oven. Timing will depend on thickness but for chunks of brisket one usually figures about 20-30 minutes or so in a baking pan with liquid, a bit longer if foil wrapped alone. You only need an internal temp of 140-150˚ for a good serving temp.

Point makes terrific chili.

Usual caveat: if smoking whole and portioning/freezing later, make sure whatever you're going to freeze is completely cool before wrapping for the freezer for food safety.

I do the same as Kevin I use the point for chili in the winter and slice the rest and package it for meals for the two of us. It does freeze really well and makes great brisket sammies. I have a food saver so I heat by placing the vac bag into some simmering hot water to heat.

Bob, we're in the same boat as you, just two of us and a cooked whole brisket! I'm a big fan of slicing the flat and placing enough slices for two sandwiches in a FoodSaver bag, folding it closed and freezing it hard for a couple of hours, then vacuum sealing. This prevents squeezing the juices out of the meat during the sealing process. Repeat with the remaining brisket, including the point section that I've either sliced or chopped. Then when we get a hankerin' for brisket, either drop frozen into boiling water as Kevin described or if planning ahead, let thaw in fridge overnight, arrange slices on a microwave-safe plate, cover with plastic wrap and heat gently at 20% power until warmed. Perfect every time. Nice buttered toasted bun, a touch of my favorite BBQ sauce (yes, I like sauce with my 'que) and it's time for good eats!

By the way, at Camp Brisket in January 2020, we used a sous vide machine to revive a frozen cooked whole brisket. Straight out of the freezer, five hours at 160*F, open the bag and slice at 145*F internal temp. Almost as good a new!

Another by the way, I'm happy to see Kevin's mug on his avatar! After all these years! You kind of look like Kenny Loggins in that photo! :D

By the way, at Camp Brisket in January 2020, we used a sous vide machine to revive a frozen cooked whole brisket. Straight out of the freezer, five hours at 160*F, open the bag and slice at 145*F internal temp. Almost as good a new!

Another by the way, I'm happy to see Kevin's mug on his avatar! After all these years! You kind of look like Kenny Loggins in that photo! :D

I cannot recommend a sous vide circulator highly enough! As Chris wrote, with sous vide, reheated BBQ is almost as good as fresh. It is the only way to do BS chicken breasts. Pasteurized eggs make caesar dressing, raw cookie dough and some cocktails all safe and worry-free. So many uses.

Quite well, actually. Thaw in fridge. If sliced, heat a little chicken or beef stock in a pan - just enough to coat the bottom - along with a small bit of butter. Lay the slices in, cover, done in a couple minutes (don't let the liquid boil, just a bare simmer). For larger pieces: if you've vacuum-sealed you can drop the bag(s) into a pot of boiling water and simmer for a bit; if not vac-sealed you can simply either place the meat in a small baking pan or roasting dish with or without the liquid/butter addition (I prefer the addition), cover tightly, and stick in a 300-350˚ oven, or just wrap in foil and place in the oven. Timing will depend on thickness but for chunks of brisket one usually figures about 20-30 minutes or so in a baking pan with liquid, a bit longer if foil wrapped alone. You only need an internal temp of 140-150˚ for a good serving temp.

Point makes terrific chili.

Usual caveat: if smoking whole and portioning/freezing later, make sure whatever you're going to freeze is completely cool before wrapping for the freezer for food safety.
you have a recipe for that chili? lol

Back