free First generation Performer in Yuba City CA ( not mine )

That looks pretty nice. Is there supposed to be a condiment basket on the right end?
That has the small 5lb tank. I would pick it up just for that alone.

Don't know. I've never seen a first gen performer in person. I just tripped across it.

It's "sold"...

It would have been a 70 minute drive and $40 in gas to collect it. If it was closer I might have chased it down.

What is a 5lb tank used for?
Performer kettles have built-in propane coal starters. No need to use a Chimney. The 5 lb tank would probably last a long time. The 5 lb tanks are also hard to find and can be spendy.

Yah, the Performers with "Gas Assist" have them. You light a burner under the coals to get them started and the 5lb tank would last a long time. They changed over to ones that used the small 1lb tanks. But, even if you didn't want to fix up the grill, those 5lb tanks are hard to find and cost more than a new 20lb tank in stores. They are handy for a lot of other uses such as a Q grill or just a convenient backup for a Genesis to get you through that cook that cut out when the main tank ran out.

I have one but date code 12-99, can’t get it refilled anyway.

Couldn’t find replacements for my Performer’s *** assist so dismantled it. It was a fussy setup for me to maintain, overly complicated solution compared to a simple chimney starter. The worse part was it needed an extra hole in bottom of kettle to thread the burner tube, which caused it to rust prematurely. I had to replace my bowl because of this. But if Bruce has another magic use case for the baby tank (perhaps a meat tenderizer?), I’ll feel better about the fussy gas Performer.

If it is a 1999 tank, it probably needs to be retrofit with OPD. Look at the handle, if it is triangle shaped, it probably has OPD already. If it is like a daisy, ( one on the left ) it is probably not OPD.

1642653744424.png

I'd call around to a couple of RV shops. Ask if there is anyone that re-certifies propane tanks that can convert a 1 gallon / 5 lb tank to OPD and recertify it.

I really like my 5 lb tank for camping much better than a 20 lb tank.

Last edited:
Yah, you can get tanks recertified. Most Gas supply outlets will do it. (not just refill stations, but places that supply bulk propane and other gasses.) I think it costs about $15 around here. Changing out the valve might cost a bit more.

I have not used gas assisted grills a whole lot. But on a couple of my rehabs, I have used it and it was totally awesome in my opinion. It took away a lot of the inconvenience of coal IMO.

I agree, when my gas assist was working, it was awesome like you said. Loved it!

Over the years, all that inconvenience I avoided was steadily accruing and mutated into potential burner/valve replacement and tank recert hassles. Thus I ripped out the system. Newer gas Performers use Coleman tanks I think, yet another landfill item.

I should have done the smart thing like what you did, which was rehab the grill and pass it along. From now on, my guiding principle for rehabs is “What would Bruce do?”. WWBD?

No one around here would re-certify them pretty sure Kyle from Woodstock called about everyone in Georgia. They are expensive but here is a decent price from Menards which we don't have around here. https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...empty-propane-tank/ysn5lb/p-1491546053483.htm

To be honest I have a Performer that uses the 1lb tank and I get about a year or longer out of them. I use a chimney so only running the gas 4 or 5 minutes and then let it do its thing.

No surprise the Gen 1 did not last very long especially for free.

Looks like they couldn't take a break from the grill...

I like the idea of a gas starter, especially during these cold nights.

Back