Flavorizer bars for Q?

Joseph K

Hi Q gurus, I was wondering if installing flavorizer bars in my Q 200 is worth it or even makes sense. I wonder if anyone has tried it and I also wonder if Weber ever not thought about it. But, with the very limited internal space, it may not have been a viable option for them. I am kind of guessing the bowl, although not above the flames, may serve the purpose since the space is so compact inside but not exactly the same. There is an Youtube video on Q with a set of flavorizer bars (
) but the person does not explain where/how he got the parts and hot the mod turned out. So, what do you think?

Bruce

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Oh, I am sure the R&D department at Weber toyed with that idea. But IMO it is a rabbit hole.
If you look at that setup, the far right and left sides are unprotected so that is only a partial remedy. Another and bigger problem that I see is that your heat distribution would be dismal. The heat at grate level would be all over the place. The right and left sides of the grill would likely be super hot with uncovered burners on those ends along with heat traveling under the flavorizer bars and out each end. You would get very little heat on top of the flavorizer bars since the bars are so close to the grates which already have grease shields built into them.

No, nice idea, but I am sure Weber didn't miss anything in leaving Flavorizer bars out of the Q grills.

Joseph K

Oh, I am sure the R&D department at Weber toyed with that idea. But IMO it is a rabbit hole.
If you look at that setup, the far right and left sides are unprotected so that is only a partial remedy. Another and bigger problem that I see is that your heat distribution would be dismal. The heat at grate level would be all over the place. The right and left sides of the grill would likely be super hot with uncovered burners on those ends along with heat traveling under the flavorizer bars and out each end. You would get very little heat on top of the flavorizer bars since the bars are so close to the grates which already have grease shields built into them.

No, nice idea, but I am sure Weber didn't miss anything in leaving Flavorizer bars out of the Q grills.
Bruce, thanks for the insight. The kind of input I can only receive from TVWBB. Yeah, I see the uneven heat distribution problem. I also realize, as you said, the way Q grates are designed probably has something to do with the interactions with the burners and not having flavorizer bars in a very tight space.

Richard in NS

TVWBB All-Star
Plus, they work really well the way they are for direct grilling. If you want indirect, throw a pan or tinfoil on there with a rack on top and you are good to go. Looks like that mod is a lot of work for nothing.

Jon Tofte

TVWBB Hall of Fame
That would certainly help keep your burners cleaner, but I agree very much with what has been said in that the very direct grilling and the radiant heat of the thick cast iron grate are what make the Qs such outstanding cookers. Sure, they need more frequent cleaning, but use a small plastic scraper and you can do that in a couple minutes - no flavorizer bars to remove!

LMichaels

TVWBB Olympian
And fwiw if you want easier cleaning but still getting the great heating performance of the thick cast iron, the thick SS ones people like Bruce and I have bought. They perform every bit as well as OEM cast iron EXCEPT if you want grill marks that look painted on. They do give you an overall wonderful sear, just no lines. For those times I think I might want a steak looking like someone took a magic marker to it I kept my cast iron ones. But honestly have never put them back on. They are hanging in my garage

Joseph K

Thank your for all the input. Well, with the unanimous verdict from the panel, I am tossing the idea of having flavorizer bars for now. The reason I was looking for flavorizer bars in my Q 200 was for more flavors. Thought with flavorizer bars, Q would produce even better end results. But, as Jon put it, my Q was doing excellent cooking already and as Richard put it, all the work for nothing useful in the end. Yes, Larry, I've been looking at those Stanbroil SS grates and they are at the top of my wish list. Thanks, all.

Michael Smotch

TVWBB Fan
And fwiw if you want easier cleaning but still getting the great heating performance of the thick cast iron, the thick SS ones people like Bruce and I have bought. They perform every bit as well as OEM cast iron EXCEPT if you want grill marks that look painted on. They do give you an overall wonderful sear, just no lines. For those times I think I might want a steak looking like someone took a magic marker to it I kept my cast iron ones. But honestly have never put them back on. They are hanging in my garage
Which ss grates are you using with Q? Looking to upgrade

LMichaels

TVWBB Olympian
They look like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/1532890658...var=453169695213&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 but were only about $50. Sadly Stanbroil doesn't make them anymore choosing instead to go with the (inferior for this type of grill) rod grates. I guess since it's MUCH cheaper to make them from rods rather than solid laser cut stainless they went that route. Rod type will be easier to clean and such but will never work and perform the way that Weber engineered the grill to work