Flare Ups using Minion Method

JJunker

Hey All,

Somewhat new user of the WSM 18. Have probably done 6-8 successful cooks and tackled my first brisket over the weekend. Minion Method with Kingsford charcoal, went pretty well other than one issue where I had a bad flare up causing the temp to spike from 225-250 all the way up to over 300.. I think from inspection I had a small wood piece instead of a chunk catch fire and caused a bunch of the briquettes to light also causing the flare up? Does this sound like it could have been the culprit? Filled the ring full with briquettes and had 3 chunks buried, poured probably 20 fully lit in the center crater. Flare up happened about 2 hrs in, I noticed a small chunk of wood completely on fire. After I was able to get it under control no issues ran steady around 226 and I was pleased with how the brisket came out for my first attempt.

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Wizard
The only time I have seen that is if I give it a lot of O2 by opening the door or taking the middle off. As soon as I close things up it goes right out.

Phil S

TVWBB Super Fan
If I have my wood chunks laying on top and a couple of them catch fire at the same time, I'll see a temperature spike. I try to either bury the wood or space them so they don't light at the same time.

CaseyMcC

Hey All,

Somewhat new user of the WSM 18. Have probably done 6-8 successful cooks and tackled my first brisket over the weekend. Minion Method with Kingsford charcoal, went pretty well other than one issue where I had a bad flare up causing the temp to spike from 225-250 all the way up to over 300.. I think from inspection I had a small wood piece instead of a chunk catch fire and caused a bunch of the briquettes to light also causing the flare up? Does this sound like it could have been the culprit? Filled the ring full with briquettes and had 3 chunks buried, poured probably 20 fully lit in the center crater. Flare up happened about 2 hrs in, I noticed a small chunk of wood completely on fire. After I was able to get it under control no issues ran steady around 226 and I was pleased with how the brisket came out for my first attempt.
What positions were your bottom vents? Closing all 3 vents around the charcoal bowl will bring down the temp in a few minutes. A spike like that shouldn't be a problem for a few minutes.

MatthewR

TVWBB Member
If it happened 6-8 hours into the cook I would suspect the water bowl had run out....but at 2 hours in the culprit lay elsewhere. I wonder if you didn't get a sustained breeze that fed oxygen in through one of your open vents. Even a gentle breeze that lasts a couple minutes can cause a spike like the one you mentioned. I've found 1 chunk of wood catching fire isn't enough to cause a spike like that but who knows....with fire there are endless variables...it sounds like you handled everything right though. How did your food turn out?

Also - just my opinion...check out BnB Charcoal when you get a chance. I'll never go back to KBB IF I can help it :) 😀

JJunker

What positions were your bottom vents? Closing all 3 vents around the charcoal bowl will bring down the temp in a few minutes. A spike like that shouldn't be a problem for a few minutes.
I had I think two barely open
If it happened 6-8 hours into the cook I would suspect the water bowl had run out....but at 2 hours in the culprit lay elsewhere. I wonder if you didn't get a sustained breeze that fed oxygen in through one of your open vents. Even a gentle breeze that lasts a couple minutes can cause a spike like the one you mentioned. I've found 1 chunk of wood catching fire isn't enough to cause a spike like that but who knows....with fire there are endless variables...it sounds like you handled everything right though. How did your food turn out?

Also - just my opinion...check out BnB Charcoal when you get a chance. I'll never go back to KBB IF I can help it :) 😀
I did think of this, it was a little gusty I noticed after the flare up and one of the vents I still had cracked the wind could blow right into the smoker… I will definitely check out BnB thanks