Flap Steak, Bavette d'Aloyau, Bistro Steak

Chuck-roaniecowpony

TVWBB Super Fan
While at a Wild Fork store last week, I picked up a full Flap Meat cut. If you're not familiar, Flap is from the belly area behind and above the flank, below the sirloin. It's not very thick on average, but my particular primal cut was almost 1 1/4" at the thickest and tapered to a thin point at the thinest. Tonight I trimmed it up and cut it into steaks and grilled one for me (bachelor night). I seasoned it well with a classic beef rub (S&P, garlic, onion powder, paprika) and grilled it on a very hot and close lump charcoal with smoldering mesquite chunks in a komado. I seared to a nice even Malliard reaction and set it aside the direct fire and closed the lid on the cooker and let it come up to about 110F in the very middle, while the mesquite smoke was doing it's majic. While I did this on my Bubba Keg, it could just as well been done on a kettle with a Vortex or a SnS or just a charcoal basket on one side. It could also be done on any grill (gas or other) that gets hot enough to sear. It's perfect for the hibachi too.

After a 10 minute rest, the internal was 115F and had stopped rising. Time to eat!

I sliced it on a cutting board, plated and had it with some green beans. Wow! Incredible big beefy flavor. The salty and spicy seasoning complimented it very well. Since it was sliced across the grain in about 1/8 to 3/16" thick slices, it was not chewy, but actually had a nice tenderness to chew. The meat has a large grain structure. Flavor was BIG!! I highly recommend it.20220217_185346.jpg20220217_185911.jpg

That looks great, Chuck! I saw that cut at WF, and passed since the "flap" I always see at CostCo is very flat.....like skirt steak flat. That looks like a proper sirloin flap! Might need to add one of those to my next WF order (with I could go shop, but they've been great with delivery selection so far!)

R

That looks great, Chuck! I saw that cut at WF, and passed since the "flap" I always see at CostCo is very flat.....like skirt steak flat. That looks like a proper sirloin flap! Might need to add one of those to my next WF order (with I could go shop, but they've been great with delivery selection so far!)

R
Costco retail Flap in styrofoam packs is butterflied. If you buy the cryo, you’ll get the thick, untrimmed pieces, of which barely need trimming. I make my carne asada with the Costco cryo and it comes out great every time.

Beautiful cook, @Chuck-roaniecowpony! One of my fave beefy cuts and it takes rubs and marinades well.

What a way to start my morning! That with a couple fried eggs and some hash browns, looks like its going to be a fine day,

John Wayne quote as “Wil Anderson” in “The Cowboys”.
Absolutely, one of my favorite characters, The scene with Slim Pickens (Anse Peterson) in the saloon,
Anse- “Wil, if yore neck was any stiffer, you couldn’t bend over to pull yore boots on!”
Wil- “Shut up and pour!”

My loving wife used the line on me when I was really being hardheaded. I laughed so hard, I almost wet my pants!

What a way to start my morning! That with a couple fried eggs and some hash browns, looks like its going to be a fine day,
Ooops :oops: all gone

<iframe width="1190" height="670" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm still thinking about that big beefy flavor from that steak last night. I have about 4 more steaks from that full Flap. It's just me and the wife, so I have to cook them all soon. The full cut was frozen, so I'm not keen on re-freezing the steaks I cut from them. Maybe a lunch steak.

I'm still thinking about that big beefy flavor from that steak last night. I have about 4 more steaks from that full Flap. It's just me and the wife, so I have to cook them all soon. The full cut was frozen, so I'm not keen on re-freezing the steaks I cut from them. Maybe a lunch steak.
"Lunch steak" is a concept I think I could get behind! :)

Screenshot_20220218-131854.png
That plate looks so good. Does this look like what you have there? I want to give this cut a try my next wild forks order as well and I am trying make sure I get it right!

My wife and I split a small steak for lunch along with a salad. It was the first time she had this cut. She really liked it. Cooked it the same way; a lump charcoal fire about 2-3" from the grate, some mesquite wood chunks around the outside of the fire, lid closed for the grilling, about 2 mins a side, removed it from the grill at around 105F internal. I think 100F internal would be a bit better for rare. Maybe even 95F, since the fire is so hot and the steak will coast up a lot.

The seasoning I used both times was John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub. I've tried a lot of rubs over the years, including Slap Yo Daddy's AP rub. It's good, but I like the JH Tx Brisket rub better.

I got the prime about a month ago. I turned it into 5 steaks. Made 4 a few weeks ago for Sunday diner and the last for steak tacos a few days later. There was leftovers and my mother in law had them twice over the last two weeks. She shared today that she has decided it is the best thing I have ever cook. She said out of all the cuts of beef I have prepared (and all the other meals) for her this was by far her favorite. I wouldn't go as far as her, but I really really liked it too. I will order again, but... Next I have to order Picanha, after my mother in law said this my youngest come up to me separate and said, "Dad, it is not better then Picanha and you promised after the Tri Tip in the freezer next would be a Picanha." I say "You got it Boss!" 🤣

I love the flap steak cut. Costco has the full cut from time to time. One of my favorites.
Just ask for the cryovac pack and you’ll get 3-5 whole flaps in a pack, and save money over their already retail packs! There’s not much trimming to to on them sans a little silver skin. I tend to leave most of the fat on them. You can butterfly the flaps or leave them thick. All depends how you want to cook them. Personally, one of the juiciest steaks around that do very well with a char sear and quick indirect to temp up.

Carne asada anyone?,.,.,.

Apparently I need to go to Costco. Y’all talk about it all the time haha. I bet there isn’t one writhing 5-6 hours of me

Back