Flap Meat Steak on the WSK

i'd recco using the charbaskets. you have A LOT of coals there. only you can decide if too much or not. what's great about the charbaskets is you can easily clean up the old coals for you next cook/relight. and denser coals create more concentrated heat for searing.

i like a little more char on the steak. but that's my flavor profile/liking. if you like your output, that's all that matters.

Just picked up some flap meat from Costco this afternoon. Yours looks mighty good.

i'd recco using the charbaskets. you have A LOT of coals there. only you can decide if too much or not. what's great about the charbaskets is you can easily clean up the old coals for you next cook/relight. and denser coals create more concentrated heat for searing.

i like a little more char on the steak. but that's my flavor profile/liking. if you like your output, that's all that matters.
I’ll have to give the char baskets a try. Do you have a picture of how you set up for searing?

@ZachMendel

Carne asada. All the lump coal is in two char baskets (CBs) in a center circle. This way you can sear, move to indirect to temp up and final sear if you want more texture and color.

Made from Costco Flap steak.

1670031314958.jpeg

1670031336326.jpeg

1670031355936.jpeg

1670031376849.jpeg

Chopped up for tacos

1670031412866.jpeg

I posted this recipe on the forum and can search for it if you’d like.

I recommend Jealous Devil lump charcoal. Burns real hot and clean. Around 1000°F+ and imparts a neutral wood, slightly sweet smoke flavor.

@ZachMendel

Carne asada. All the lump coal is in two char baskets (CBs) in a center circle. This way you can sear, move to indirect to temp up and final sear if you want more texture and color.

Made from Costco Flap steak.

View attachment 63499

View attachment 63500

View attachment 63501

View attachment 63502

Chopped up for tacos

View attachment 63503

I posted this recipe on the forum and can search for it if you’d like.

I recommend Jealous Devil lump charcoal. Burns real hot and clean. Around 1000°F+ and imparts a neutral wood, slightly sweet smoke flavor.
Thanks for this! Love the idea of the char baskets full of lump in the middle. So now I got another question for you. What’s your setup for low and slow?

Zach ....MR. Bean < like the avatar...and even with the high heat you nailed the flap meat cook. Bravo.

I Love Flap meat, but I usually just cook it on the gasser with kosher salt and course black pepper...since it only takes about 10 minutes to cook.
While the flap meat is resting I cook up some sunny side up eggs and toast up some Brioche buns.
Ready to go add pepper jack cheese to each bun then add your favorite sauce, flap meat and sunny side up egg and Yumskidliochocious....

@ZachMendel

What is the foil used for? Did you wrap it around the CBs?

Where is the best place to buy Jealous Devil lump charcoal?

Amazon have the 35 lb bags for $39.95 (free prime delivery) right now and that is a good price, I have been getting it from Tractor Supply for the same deal since last spring. Last, Home Depot is supposed to be starting to carrying it, but I don't know what they will be carrying.

Foil is to catch drippings. Just makes cleanup so much easier. I use the Reynolds heavy duty. Get a few cooks out of it and then roll up and toss.

JD Lump is sold in many places. Tractor Supply, Green Acres, Amazon and now Home Depot.

My first batch (6 35# bags) was from a distributor I know. I just bought 2 35# bags from Amazon a week or so ago.

Amazon has $39.97 for 35# on west coast, which is $1.142# which is a good price.

Check your Home Depot website. I’ve seen free delivery on the 35# bags if you order a few at a time.

I prefer to have 5-6 of the 35# bags on hand and just run through it. I don’t have time to shop monthly for coal so I just buy it and I’m done.

And I love how it cooks, it’s flavor profile and heat level.

Last edited:

Back