Flap Meat from Costco

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I got some 'flap meat' on my Costco run last week. I've seen various ways of cooking this and honestly wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. But the price was right, and I was ready and willing to experiment. When I got it home and unpacked it, it looked A LOT like skirt steak. There were two large steaks in the package. I seasoned both with S&P, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and oregano - was thinking tacos. Put both into Foodsaver bags and vac sealed. I took one out this morning and let it thaw. Then ultimately decided to do sous vide with it. I put it in the bath at 131 for a planned two hour soak that ended up being closer to three. After that, onto the Performer over K-Pro - lid was left askew and temps were 550+ prior to putting the meat on. Roughly 90-120 seconds per side, with the second side done lid off. Lots of good fire and delicious smelling smoke. After a short rest, I sliced it up. Initially, cut the steak into quarters, roughly perpendicular to the grill marks in the first pic below. Then, I thinly sliced each section parallel to the grill marks (against the grain). Made for some really good tacos.

First pic: at the turn and getting a nice sear.

1593742398056.jpeg

Next: layering flavors. Smeared some homemade guacamole on the tortilla, followed by the steak.

1593742494242.png

Final assembly before rolling it all up. Thinly sliced Romaine, pickled red onion, and some leftover 'crema' from our last fish taco night.

1593742621553.png

This turned out to be a really good meal and was enjoyed even by those in my household who don't usually like steak. If you run across some of this flap meat at Costco, I recommend you give it a try. I've read its also good for marinating.

Great looking tacos, Jim! At $9'ish/lb, I'd go with this cut over skirt any day of the week......local places want $20/lb for choice skirt! :oops:

I'd like two tacos, please, you can hold the onions on mine. :)

R

The beef looks excellent!

But I'll keep my opinions of avocados and avocado-based products to myself. ;)

Initially, cut the steak into quarters, roughly perpendicular to the grill marks in the first pic below.
💡Now there's an idea that never occurred to me: when grilling a piece of meat that benefits from slicing across the grain but the grain of the finished product may be hard to determine, orient it on the grate so that the grill marks can be used as a slicing guide!

Last edited:
That looks really good Jim. Next time I'm at Costco I'll see if they have it and give it a try.

Back