Flank Steak Fajitas (a 36hr. Sous vide + Smoked process)

Myk McCormick

TVWBB Member
Just getting used to this new Sous Vide I got for Christmas and decided it was time to see what the Smoker could add to the cook.

Money shot....topped with homemade cilantro/lime rice, sauteed pep and onion, fresh avocado, and a great chipotle salsa.
(excuse the platting, it was just me and the wife so we were using paper)
IoKAFkm.jpg

Submersion method - 2lb Flank w/ s+p, 3 cloves minced garlic, EVOO, and rosemary.
tj93UXL.jpg

My first time using the Colman cooler set up for a longer cook. Had almost ZERO evaporation in the 10+hr long bath.
TETLWD6.jpg

I didn't get picks of the ice bath. But after the 10hr Sous Vide bath I transferred the steak to an ice bath and then in the refrigerator for about 24 hrs.

Rinsed the steak off, and placed it on my 22.5"WSM running at 230 for almost 2 hrs.
7NEyxZq.jpg

Near perfection! Doesn't look as moist as it was. Built a decent bark in the smoker, but a perfect Med rare from edge-to-edge! So tender I could've cut it with a toothpick.
YKGFpqi.jpg

Looks Tasty. Still not sold on using Sous Vide. The couple of attempts that I have done so far weren't over the top better than what I've already been doing.

I like the looks of that flank, Myk! I haven't gone past 24 hours with anything sous vide yet, but your cook gives me something to try.

R

CaseT, this wasn't something I was seeking out. I added it to a wish list that I didn't expect to get fulfilled. But after about a half-dozen cooks using it, lets just say that there are certain cuts of meat that I'll never cook any other way.

RichG, I might have mislead you a tad. The process (Sous vide+chilled+and then smoked) was a total of 36hr. I sous vide the steak for only 10 hrs. Still a record length for me.

I'm going for the exact same setup as you. Got the sous vide for xmas, but it has remained boxed while I wait for the cooler which is on backorder. Hopefully I will get everything up and running in a couple of weeks and after seeing these pics, the cooler can't come in fast enough. I am looking forward to learning a new way to cook.

That looks simply awesome, Myk. I'll have to try that - longest I've gone so far is 3-ish hours. This is making me want to try a SV brisket recipe that Anova sent out a few months back.

Where'd you get that cooler? Assuming it didn't come with the hole - you cut that yourself, correct?

Might have to try this. I picked up a Joule before Christmas.

I did 72 hour beef short ribs with it at 140 degrees. Results had a texture more like Filet but way more flavor.

AbeLos, I used mine in a stock pot for a few cooks before my cooler came in. The best advantage that the cooler gives is the minimal evaporation....which only comes into play during the longer cooks. Just saying, no need to wait for the cooler to start playing with it.

JimK, the cooler is the Coleman 25qt Party Stacker Amazon link here

The hole is made by a 2-3/8" hole saw. Or what is more commonly used as a doorknob hole saw. One mod that I haven't made yet, is cutting the lid. The idea being to remove most of the lid, while leaving the portion of the lid that has the unit in it. You'll need as thin blade as possible so as not to create extra gaps....which is why I've been lazy on doing it.

NathanFA, did you brown the short ribs afterwards? Sear/Smoke?

The one issue I had keeping something from floating, I placed a spoon in the bag(some double bagged to keep it off the food, I just single bagged it) + plus used the round end of a metal skewer clipped to the side of the pot to keep it on the bottom. It wasn't pretty, but it wasn't difficult.

If I had th balls, I'd gladly use them. But I don't think they're a must-own by any means.

I seared them in a pan on the stove. I originally tried to sear on a soapstone on my kamado grill but I had some fire issues and lost some arm hair haha.

Back