Fixing rust

Morten Hjort

I bought an old Summit gas grill I'm giving some care. Some parts have been painted, but I want to look at the rusty parts of the chassis and figure out how to remove them and, more importantly, make sure it will last for many more years. I've attached a few images here. Nothing severe, and I honestly don't care how it looks from the inside, but I hope I can "proof" it somehow (I have a completely new cookbox to install too).

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 10.17.14.png
Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 10.17.22.png

On those you have to worry about more than the cabinet. There is the firebox issue, and the cost of those flavorizer bars. Also through the roof. Otherwise the best thing you can do is disassembly, wire brushing, then hit all the rust with a GOOD rust converter. Not the junk at the hardware store. But good stuff like POR15 or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. Once cured then paint as you like. But don't waste your time or money there until you actually see what you're dealing with in the fire box and then can stand up again after you see the costs. You may end up rethinking the project altogether

Back