Fisrt time

Jason H

I finally got my WSM for christmas. I threw a couple racks of loin backs on last night. They were about 2.5 lbs each. I used a wholse chimney of unlit and put half chimney of lit on top. The only wood I had was hickory, so I put two chunks of that on top. The cooker setteled right in at about 225. The ribs ended up taking about 5.5 hours. Which was way longer than I had planned. The smaller of the two racks was fall off the bone tender, the larger still had a bit of pull, but still pretty good. It could have used a little more time, but I was hungry! They turned out pretty good for a first try, but I was a little afraid to put too much rub on them. I do not think I put enough on. I took some pics, but my battery is dead on my camera right now.
I picked up two butts to do for a party we are having on Saturday night. The party starts at 7pm. The butts are about 7.5 lbs each, bone in. Should I plan on about 14 hrs and at least 2 hrs rest? If I put them on about 10pm Fridaty night, 14 hrs would make it approx noon sat. Assuming I may need another hour or two, this gives me plenty of time. If by chance they get done early, would 5-6 hours wrapped in foil in a cooler be too much? Looking for any advice you guys may be able to give. The information I have gotten here so far has been very helpful!

I think I would foil in a cooler wrapped in a towel for 1-2 hours, but if the temps fall too much you get into the danger zone of building bacteria. I'm not 100% sure on this though, but I think you would be safe to foil for 1 to 2 hours to rest and then pull the pork and put it in the fridge. Once I shred/pull mine I set it in a deep pan with a towel over the pork to keep it moist while I pull and toss in the pan. Once all pulled, I put a nice tight foil wrap over it and pop it in the fridge. As far as cooking times, I would rely on temperature, not time. Once the butts are at an internal temp of 190 I believe it's okay to pull them and foil to rest. It could take less time than you expect or it could take more. Just watch the temps of the butts and you'll be okay. Butts are pretty forgiving, so I think even if you overdo it you might be okay. When I shred the pork I also spritz with a little apple cider mixed with some cider vinegar. Just a touch, not too much. Then I place that porky goodness on a golden bun, top with sauce and dig in! Last time I did an 8 pounder it took me about 16 hours. That was with an offset smoker and then I wound up finishing it off in the oven for the last four and a half hours or so due to the weather. Good luck and post some pics when you're done!

Edit: Just read this and it looks like 2-4 hours are okay too. See the following link for additional help: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

I would plan on the cook taking 16 hours assuming you're cooking at about 225-250º. I would plan on resting for 3 hours. Back that up and you'll get your start time.

After about 12 hours if you think the cook is behind schedule, crank up the heat. By the time you've been cooking for 12 hours, most of the rendering has taken place and you've got all the smoke you're going to get so just turn up the temp and get done.

If you're done early, you can do two things. First, back off the temp and leave the meat in the cooker for another hour or so. Second, foil and hold in an insulated cooler. It's pretty easy to hold the meat for six hours this way if need be.

Anyway, that's how I do it. Good luck.

Happy New Year Jason. I've been smoking 10-12 lbs butts the last few cooks and they have been in the 15-16 hour range with the temps. at 225. But the times are just a guideline. I rely on the internal temp. of the meat to determine where I'm at. I use a electronic type thermometer with a probe to avoid opening the lid to often and take out when the internal temp. hits 195. The meat will hit a "plateau" at one point where it will stay at the same temp. for a few hours. Around 165, This is normal. It's the point where the fat inside is being rendered out.
As far as cooler storage, I've have butts wrapped in foil & towels in a cooler for up to four hours and they have been still to hot to pull bare handed. Happy Smoking!

Back