First WSM smoke and Intro

RDean

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on these forums for awhile. My electric smoker kicked the bucket and figured it was prime opportunity to buy an 18.5" WSM as a replacement.

I decided to go all out and do a "low and slow smoke" for my first smoke. I decided not to use any water in the pan based on some of the information I read in the forums here and on other sites. I started with a 10lb bone in butt and dry brined it for about 12 hours and rubbed with my own random concoction I have been using for awhile. The smoke was about 14 hours and cooked to 205dF internal temp. Once I got the vent positions figured out I was able to hold around 250dF for 7ish hours with only minor adjustment which I was happy about. I was surprised at how little the vents needed opened at first to maintain temps and how significant a change minor adjustments could make. I started with the minion method and 20 briquets.

I got a little impatient towards the very end with data collection (and dinner was running late so I cranked up the temps)

I think I might attempt some hot & fast chicken over the weekend for my second go around.

IMG_20200628_085627.jpgIMG_20200628_193253.jpgIMG_20200628_193820.jpgdownload_20200629_085549.png

Welcome to the crew. Great first post and first cook. You'll have that cooker figured out in no time. Nice looking Pork.

Great looking pork! Is that an Inkbird thermometer?
Yes it is, I got the four probe one for use with this cooker. Very happy with it given the price based on the first cook. You can set up temp alarms in the app which is kinda cool and there are some simple trending features which are neat but not very robust.

The graph I made myself because I can be entirely too over analytical and wanted to understand the different temp zones in the smoker versus the lid. My endearing wife called it "quirky"...I think she was trying to be nice.

Last edited:
The graph I made myself because I can be entirely too over analytical and wanted to understand the different temp zones in the smoker versus the lid. My endearing wife called it "quirky"...I think she was trying to be nice.

Ahhh, I have one myself and noticed the different look to the graph. I thought it might be a different app or maybe just the iOS version. The graphing, storage (or lack thereof), and inability to turn off the alarm on the base itself (my wife didn't appreciate being woken up at midnight when a pork butt reached 205) are my only complaints about the inkbird so far.

Ahhh, I have one myself and noticed the different look to the graph. I thought it might be a different app or maybe just the iOS version. The graphing, storage (or lack thereof), and inability to turn off the alarm on the base itself (my wife didn't appreciate being woken up at midnight when a pork butt reached 205) are my only complaints about the inkbird so far.
Yeah I agree 100%, I also noticed that that when you get an alarm on your phone it did not also give me a push notification to tell me what was alarming. While I was definitely certain it was the Inkbird app, it would have been nice to be able to turn the alarm off from a push notification or a notification that would take us right to the app.

Back