First Turkey Breast

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm about to take a run at smoking my first turkey breast this weekend and was hoping some of you more seasoned pros may want to impart some wisdom on me. It's not a boneless breast. Essentially what I have is a self basting, legless bird which weighs about 7lbs. Scouring the various forums and cooking sections I'm leaning towards doing the cook in the 325 degree range rather than the low and slow range of 225-250. It seems like a dry pan is also the way to go with this. Am I on the right track ? Any advice you kind folks may want to throw my way will be greatly appreciated. Estimates of cooking time are welcome too ! I'm hoping for a memorable Memorial Day courtesy of my faithful WSM, my fellow Q'ers and the departed soul of Tom Turkey.

A happy weekend to all !!!!!!!!!

Play safe !!!

You are absolutely on the right track-- 325-350*. If the label says something about "enhanced with a solution of", or words to that effect, do not brine it. Sprinkle it with some rub, leave the water pan dry but keep it in place, and have at it. Go a little light on the smoke wood, too. Figure on 2-2.5 hours cook time, but use your thermometer to verify 165* in the breast. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back